question about yeast starter and packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thyirishmen

Reaction score
on mr. malty's calculator I put in a OG gravity of 1.095. for a 6.36 vol. It says # of liters of starter required 4.19. it says packs needed with starter 2. So I would need 2 starters of 2l or a big 4.19. as well as 2 smack packs into the wort as well. so this would call for 3 packs, or 4 if i split up the 4.19l into 2 starters? am i reading this right. when it says with starter 2, does it include the one for a starter? like I would need 2 total, 1 in a starter and 1 separate? I think i'm just reading into it to much and need clarification.

It is telling you that your starter needs to be 4.19 liters, and that you should pitch 2 packets into your starter. That's everything you need to pitch into your fermentor.

There is a slider at the bottom of the calculator, btw. If you only wanted to use 1 pack, you could make a 10.38 liter starter.

Also, even with just intermittent shaking, you could get your starter down to 2.4 liters with 2 packs, or 6 liters with 1 pack.

The last thing to keep in mind is that your yeast probably won't be made the day you pitch it into the starter, so don't forget to account for it being a little older. That's also part of the mr malty calc.

alright so the # of packs with starter is in other words, how many packs are used to make the starter. and the amount in L is the obvious amount you need of starter. that sounds more realistic. This is my first time trying starter and I was like 4 packs! and starter!!! haha thanks so much for the quick response I really appreciate it.

Back