Our first setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truWVbru

Reaction score
We are currently in the proccess of looking for our first set-up to mess around with and get used to HB'ing on. We are looking for something that is fairly simple to use, that is not overly expensive.

Like I said in my inroduction post, after we get used to the procedure and how HB'ing works, than we do plan on expanding to a better rig, but we just need something to play around with right now.

We were looking into this kit. Has anyone used this? If so, what did you think about it?

Brewing Intermediate Kit- with Two 5 Gallon Better Bottle Carboys :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Also, if anyone has any better kits or advice, that would be great!

:mug:

That kit will cover you fairly well. It may actually be more than you need to get started. Their $89.95 kit is a really good starting point too, but if you want a little extra, the kit you linked is excellent... The intermediate kit will give you the ability to have at least two fermentations going on at the same time. It also has an autosiphon which is nice to have...

The price is decent, and it has pretty much everything you need to brew. I'd say go for it. Once you get used to brewing with it, you can start expanding it as your needs dictate, but it should last you for a while.

I too bought a starter kit. I still use most of it, only upgrading what I need as I go along.

I would recommend getting a premade kit to help. I started with a pre-hopped kit that only required adding DME(Dry Malt Extract), boiling to blend flavors and then fermenting with dry yeast. It works very well because then you get to learn most of the process. When you start adding bigger brews you will learn as you go.

A premade kit is definitely a good suggestion, and midwest has some awesome extract kits at very fair prices. Pick a style and go with it, that should do you just fine!

Hey,

I'm a new brewer too, two batches under the belt. I was originally going to buy the kit you're looking at, but instead went with the Beginner's Kit with the single carboy:
Brewing Starter Kit w/ Better Bottle :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I wish I had gotten the extra carboy now, in retrospect, but we're into it and have multiple beers going at once. If you're not sure, I'd go even lower to this:
Brewing Basics Equipment Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies -- and skip the carboy, and pick them up as you need them. If you're sure, get the Intermediate w/ the two carboys.

Back