Hello from Baltimore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SewerRanger

Reaction score
So, I've always wanted to start brewing my own beer and decided a couple of weeks ago to just go out and do it. I bought a Brewers Best starter kit ( came with 2 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters, one with a spigot. A lid, siphon equipment, bottle filler, sanitizer, bottle brush, hydrometer, capper, airlock, temperature strip, sanitizer and a small “how to” book). Right now I've got an IPA that's been in the bottle for a week now and a chocolate stout that's fermenting (I added unsweetened cocoa to the wort about 15 minutes before it was done boiling, hope that was right). Next up will be a Porter and then I'm thinking of trying my own thing. Up until now I've been using “America's Best” kits. What I want to do next is create a Cherry Chocolate Stout.

SewerRanger said:
So, I've always wanted to start brewing my own beer and decided a couple of weeks ago to just go out and do it. I bought a Brewers Best starter kit ( came with 2 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters, one with a spigot. A lid, siphon equipment, bottle filler, sanitizer, bottle brush, hydrometer, capper, airlock, temperature strip, sanitizer and a small “how to” book). Right now I've got an IPA that's been in the bottle for a week now and a chocolate stout that's fermenting (I added unsweetened cocoa to the wort about 15 minutes before it was done boiling, hope that was right). Next up will be a Porter and then I'm thinking of trying my own thing. Up until now I've been using “America's Best” kits. What I want to do next is create a Cherry Chocolate Stout.
Welcome aboard. I just joined myself, I'm just North of you in York, Pa. This seems to be a very active board with a lot of local brewers.

jezter6 said:
someone's going to have to own up to having all these alts....

I know how YOU spend your free time when you're not brewing. :p

SewerRanger said:
So, I've always wanted to start brewing my own beer and decided a couple of weeks ago to just go out and do it.

Awesome! Welcome to HBT! There's a lot of Marylanders here. :ban:

Got to work it out with the rest of my crew (got two roomates who are helping me brew), but I'll let you know if I can make it.

Welcome to the forum.

Seriously, someone's liable to make a fortune by opening a homebrew shop IN Baltimore (or even in Towson/Timonium or someplace relatively central).

So many Baltimorons brewing, but no place for us to shop without a 30-minute drive...

chris.

SewerRanger said:
Got to work it out with the rest of my crew (got two roomates who are helping me brew), but I'll let you know if I can make it.

bring them too!

i live in DC and am curious if you any of you all go to Maryland Homebrew in Columbia or Annapolis Homebrew in Severna Park and if not then where, in case i'm looking for a road trip. i'm partial to the collegial mojo at Maryland Homebrew.

SewerRanger said:
There's one in Columbia (about 30 minutes south of Baltimore) called Maryland Home Brew. That's where I bought my kit at.

Yeah, that's where I go and I love them, I just wish there were an option within the city limits. An hour round trip can be a pain for picking up basic brewing stuff, I just want something around the corner!

chris.

You have now entered a space from which you may not ever return , at least not as you were before you came here, because you have entered the world of brewing knowledge and other things important to us. Our sympathy to all those who cared for you prior to this post.

Welcome to HBT!

Yeah, that's where I go and I love them, I just wish there were an option within the city limits. An hour round trip can be a pain for picking up basic brewing stuff, I just want something around the corner!

chris.

There is a place now! Its called Nepenthe and its in the Woodberry area.

Nepenthe Homebrew
3600 Clipper Mill Rd #130a
Baltimore, MD 21211

There is a place now! Its called Nepenthe and its in the Woodberry area.

Nepenthe Homebrew
3600 Clipper Mill Rd #130a
Baltimore, MD 21211

Way to bring back an old thread. Nepenthe is great! I've been there a few times and like the folks who own/run the store. Hopefully, they grow their grain selection a little bit. I wish they would carry some more of the foreign specialty malts such as UK Light/Med/Dark Crystal Malts and CaraVienna and CaraMunich. I find it hard to justify going there when I want ingredients for English Pale Ale or Belgian when they don't have the authentic crystal malts.

Latest posts

Back