Bottling a Weizenbock - How much sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
I am bottling a weizenbock tonight and I am unsure of the amount of priming sugar to add.

Per the style it says the volume of CO2 should be anywhere from 3.7 to 4.7.

So I am aiming in the middle at 4.2 and for my 5 gallon batch the calculators I've checked are saying 9.3 oz of cane sugar.

I checked two other sites and came up with similar amounts.

9.3 oz of sugar seems like way too much. Could that be right?

I would go more toward 5.25oz. I think the thing with the CO2 volumes listed for the style is that they are carbed up prior to bottling, so the pressure is different internally. I could be waaay off here so don't take this too seriously until someone else confirms or refutes it, but I would think having the pressure created inside the bottle is different than having the CO2 already forced into the liquid.

Again, this is merely a thought so I could be wrong, but I've used 5oz or a bit more for my hefe's, including a Weizenbock that came out amazing, and it's always been carbed up very well.

Rev.

Tastybrew calculator says for 5G of it at 70F at 4.225 volumes would be 9.1oz dextrose,8.7oz sucrose (table sugar). At 4.7 volumes,it's 10.4oz dextrose, 9.9oz table sugar. Seems like an awful lot of pressure on the bottles to me.
Taking it down to 3.7 volumes would be 7.7oz dex, 7.3oz table sugar.

Back