Roggenbier Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
so finally settled on what I want to brew next, I have a bunch of rye sitting around, no wheat, and a bit of 3068 waiting to be built up for a batch of beer. I've stumbled across the roggenbier category and it sounds really interesting.

4# Briess Rye
4# Briess Pilsner (first critique should I just use pale ale malt instead I have it on hand)
.5# flaked oats
.5# special B
.25#biscuit

1oz Hallertau @ 60 minutes should get me to around 16IBU
1oz Hallertau @ 5 minutes (I thought about using 1oz of Citra at flameout but thought it would be too assertive and pull the beer out of style)

Between now and when I brew I want to get some flaked rye to use instead of the flaked oats but don't think it's 100% necessary. As well if I get ahold of 4lbs of Munich 10L I was thinking of replacing the Pilsner with that.

Double decoction I am hoping will get the extra 4-5 SRM I need for color and mash pH. Criticisms or suggestions? It's my impression roggenbier is a slightly drier spicier with a shade more hop character dunkelweizen.

I see no point in using pilsner malt. You are using Special B, so it's clear you aren't shooting for a really pale ale. Roggenbier usually has a significant amount of wheat. I think you are right about Citra........ It definitely would be "out of style". Roggenbier is supposed to be mildly hopped, allowing the flavor of the grains to stand out and dominate. I would stick with hops like Hallertau, Tettenanger, Northern Brewer, etc, and avoid late addition flavor and aroma hops if I cared about brewing to style. This is a beer that should stand on it's grains. I like your yeast choice.

H.W,

so finally settled on what I want to brew next, I have a bunch of rye sitting around, no wheat, and a bit of 3068 waiting to be built up for a batch of beer. I've stumbled across the roggenbier category and it sounds really interesting.

4# Briess Rye
4# Briess Pilsner (first critique should I just use pale ale malt instead I have it on hand)
.5# flaked oats
.5# special B
.25#biscuit

1oz Hallertau @ 60 minutes should get me to around 16IBU
1oz Hallertau @ 5 minutes (I thought about using 1oz of Citra at flameout but thought it would be too assertive and pull the beer out of style)

Between now and when I brew I want to get some flaked rye to use instead of the flaked oats but don't think it's 100% necessary. As well if I get ahold of 4lbs of Munich 10L I was thinking of replacing the Pilsner with that.

Double decoction I am hoping will get the extra 4-5 SRM I need for color and mash pH. Criticisms or suggestions? It's my impression roggenbier is a slightly drier spicier with a shade more hop character dunkelweizen.

Ah, I guess my general impression from the guidelines, you take a dunkelweizen, pull out the wheat, and replace it with rye (at most 5-10% wheat I'm seeing in a lot of recipes). If I had 4-5lbs of wheat on hand I would just go ahead and make another dunkelweizen and use the 8lbs of rye I have for a rye IPA or Ryewine.

IIRC, the Schierling clone (Regensburg) recipe comprised about 60% rye, 20% Pilsner, and 20% Caramel 40.

I brewed a Roggen last year, with about 55% rye, 42% Munich, and a little Carafa II. It turned out nicely. I did BIAB, and the mash was still a sticky mess. If doing traditional AG, you'll need some rice hulls to help prevent a stuck sparge.

IIRC, the Schierling clone (Regensburg) recipe comprised about 60% rye, 20% Pilsner, and 20% Caramel 40.

I brewed a Roggen last year, with about 55% rye, 42% Munich, and a little Carafa II. It turned out nicely. I did BIAB, and the mash was still a sticky mess. If doing traditional AG, you'll need some rice hulls to help prevent a stuck sparge.

I have some midnight wheat and pale chocolate on hand, adding some would remove the need for decoction to get the right color. Though I'd probably only add enough to hit the 14 range and still do a single decoction to get mash out temps.

My roggenbier is 70% rye, 29% mixed munich malts, and 1% carafa to adjust color. If you want a dark fruit note with dark crystal, you could do that (i do so in a weizenbock), but id keep it at like 2%. The oats are not nescecary, the rye will provide plenty of mouthfeel.

I also recommend rice hulls. And a short rest around 105 and 126-131 to help de-gum some of the proteins. Its not a pleasant mash.

My roggenbier is 70% rye, 29% mixed munich malts, and 1% carafa to adjust color. If you want a dark fruit note with dark crystal, you could do that (i do so in a weizenbock), but id keep it at like 2%. The oats are not nescecary, the rye will provide plenty of mouthfeel.

I also recommend rice hulls. And a short rest around 105 and 126-131 to help de-gum some of the proteins. Its not a pleasant mash.

I will amend my mash schedule, planning double decoction to give me the proper mash temps starting in the 90-110F range 15 minutes, pull first decoction, add back in and raise the mash to 130F for 15 minutes, pull second decoction, add back in and bring mash to 150F for 15 minutes (with the time between pulling and boiling the decoctions I'll probably end up in the range of a 90 minute mash). I do BIAB so hopefully that will alleviate some of the sticky mash issues (I know I will still be in for a long brew day anyway).

I have a dark weizenbock with 8oz of special B and 4oz of chocolate malt with a good chunk of munich malt in it as well and I love the chewy fruity malt with the 3068 esters, which is why my roggenbier recipe is supposed to be similar. If I can get to a shop (closest one is about 30 minutes away and only open friday/saturday/sundays) I will pick up some Munich 10L so I can use that in place of the pilsner.

Picked up 4lbs of Munich 10 so now I will be doing this recipe as rye/Munich 10 for the base malt. I'm starting to think I might cut the special B in half and add 4oz of honey malt, loving the melanoidin maltiness honey malt adds. Also grabbed 8oz of chocolate rye and thinking 2oz of this would be a good addition.

Edit: Planning to have this beer land and be conditioned by September 30th so I can ship it off to a competition, hoping roggenbier won't be a super crowded category.

Missed my brew date for this by about a week so it won't really be ready by the 30th. So I'll hold it till an October competition.

Just brewed this:
4# rye
4# Munich 10
6oz special B
4oz Honey malt
2oz midnight wheat malt

1oz Hallertau 3.1% 60min
1oz Hallertau 3.1% 5 minute

Hit all my mash temps nicely started at 135F pulling the first and only deflection for a 10minute decoction. Nice ruby brown wort boiling in the kettle right now and can't wait to see how this turns out (3068 starter rolling along and the basement is keeping everything nicely around 66F so should be a tasty brew.

Back