Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
I am about to brew what I call Musconectcong Magic: Recipe Below

Chocolate 1/8# (Steep 45 min)
Flaked Barely 1/4# (Steep 45 min)
Black Patent 1/8# (Steep 45 min)

Dark LME - 6# @ (60 min)
Amber LME - 1.5# @ (60 min)
Pale LME - 3# @ (60 min)
Hops = 6 HBU (bittering)(60 min)

Molasses - 12oz @ (10 min)
French Roast Coffee - 12 Cups @ (5 min)
Irish Stout Yeast - White Labs Pitchable

Boil Gravity = ~ 1.129
IBU = ~25
OG = ~1.069

Are there any special requirements that I need to consider for Stout? :mug:

wilsonwj said:
Are there any special requirements that I need to consider for Stout?

Are you asking for comments on your recipe, or just general tips about making a stout?

-walker

OK...

You've got a pretty big beer (1.069 OG), and the yeast will have a lot of work to do.

General advice for any heavy beer:
  • make a starter, even if your yeast claims to be directly pitchable.
  • aerate that mofo like it's your job.
Comments on your recipe:

Is this supposed to be a sweet stout?

-walker

What if I were to use two different strains of Yeast. Something like an english Ale Yeast and an Irish Ale Yeast? Do you think that would complicate things too much and give it off flavour?

The stout recipe I make has 1lb chocolet, and 2lb black patent. But 9lbs of pale malt.

So, you've brewed this before?

wilsonwj said:
More of a sweet than dry - but a mix- something like 60-40 or 70-30 sweet to dry.

I think you have a LOT of molasses in there. I would probably cut it back, or it will overwhelm the flavor.

also, using the recipator, I get only 18 IBUs. That is pretty low, even for a sweet stout. The MASS amount of malt in there might make the IBUs nearly negligible. The hopping is in-line for a sweet stout, just a little on the low side.

Finally... color. I get something that looks more like a brown ale or a light porter than a stout. If you decide to add roasted barley or something, that will bump up the color. But.. color really means nothing unless you are trying to adhere to style guidelines.

AS ALWAYS
These are just my opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. Part of this hobby is all about learning, and I find there is no better way to learn than to do something myself and decide if I like what I did when it is all done.

brew-on!:rockin:

Latest posts

Back