Scaling back recipes for higher efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmurdock

Reaction score
So I fly sparge and generally get really good efficiency like 85+. My understanding that the standard recipe is for an estimated 70% efficiency. My question is what do you do to scale if down to hit the correct OG? Do you just scale back the base grain or do you scale back the specialty grains as well?

Just use a bit more water and end up with more beer. What's wrong with that? With good temperature control you can ferment a 6 gallon batch in a 6 1/2 gallon fermenter bucket. I just did it and it worked well.

I don't know about other brewing software, or even if you use any, but on the recipe Design tab in Beersmith, there is a box next to the Equipment selection where you can enter your efficiency and it will adjust the OG, color and ABV values in the Style Guide Comparison section. that box is defaulted to 72%; just change it to 85% and you'll see the 3 sliders shift to the right.

decrease the amount of grains to match it with your previous numbers.

Back