Warmer water - longer chilling time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikeNC

Reaction score
I had 5 gallons of wort to chill yesterday and it took much more time (3x +) to cool. I’m guessing the groundwater is much warmer this time of year in NC. Has anyone had problems cooling wort during the summer, and if so, what methods or techniques can I use to cool faster?

Thanks!

I am studying a way to go around this problem myself. I made a prechiller, didn't work as well as I thought it should yesterday. Got on You Tube and found out that I should have cooled the wort with ground water, get it down, THEN add my ice to the bucket that the prechiller sits in. Makes sense to me. I am looking for any more information along these lines.

Here in AZ the tap water can already be nearly 80*F so I bought a little pond pump and recirculate through my IC. I use tap water to bring the wort down to 110-120*F and then start recirculating. Last weekend it took about 20lbs of ice to bring it from 115*F down into the 70's.

Here in AZ the tap water can already be nearly 80*F so I bought a little pond pump and recirculate through my IC. I use tap water to bring the wort down to 110-120*F and then start recirculating. Last weekend it took about 20lbs of ice to bring it from 115*F down into the 70's.

Same thing here. Sometimes I just give up after 80 and toss it in the chest freezer for a while.

So the pond pump takes water that has been sitting in the sink with ice instead of the faucet? You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this in use?

Thanks, I looked at that Pond Pump idea again last night, shoot it is only another 10-20 bucks, with the garden hose attachments, problem solved. I'll just start saving ice and prechill to under 100, then Pond Pump to 70. All that ice/water goes into the dry dry grass around here in the summer any ways.

Back