Open Fermenting Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffmann808

Reaction score
So I went to my LHBS today to get a few things, one of which was a lid for one of my fermenting buckets. Unfortunately they are out and dont seem to be carrying them any more. I was wondering if I would be able to open ferment my cider by just covering the bucket in aluminum foil with no airlock, or if this would be a bad idea?

Thanks!

You could probably get away with it in the short term, maybe spray the underside of the aluminum with sanitizer. Also, if there's any chance that there will be fruit flies nearby you might consider using some fine mesh to cover it in addition to the foil.

from what I've read about ciders, they seem to require quite a bit of time in fermentors (months). I certainly would not put anything in an unsealed fermenter for that long. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get away with it, but I wouldn't try it.

+1 on the Homer bucket lid. It won't snap shut, but it will fit better than aluminum foil.

For the initial fermentation an open fermenter is fine, you really do need to rack it into glass or a keg and age it for at least three months with any oxygen exposure, 6 months to a year is even better.

Latest posts

Back