simple, probably dumb, welding question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Finally, the craigslist gods have shined down upon me. I scored 2 sanke kegs, a bud light neon sign, and a keg tub for $75. The dude only wanted $50, but I had to make that slightly higher offer in case someone had already contacted him. Anyway, I am planning on taking these babies to a welder and having some nipples welded on. My question is, do I need to tell the welder to use stainless filler or some type of food safe filler material? Probably a pretty easy question, but I just want to make sure my bases are covered. Also, is it better to have a nipple or coupler welded on? Thanks again, HBT!

I have a buddy who is a pipe fitter by trade... he reminds me daily that I don't use the proper 'trade' terminology. So take this with a grain of salt.

I'm 'assuming' you mean coupling...not coupler.

Assuming your welder is a welder by trade or knowledgeable in proper welding practices, he will choose the appropriate rod to weld the stainless coupling to the keg...and as long as it's stainless you'll be OK. Aluminum keg...stainless coupling...no worky! Hopefully you got a stainless keg to go with your stainless coupling and not an aluminum keg. :)

Coupling vs. nipple: I prefer the coupling. Remember, pipe threads on male fittings (nipples and such) are tapered...over tightening and such can bugger the threads and cause leaks...I'd hate to hafta cut-out the nipple and re-weld cuz it got buggered up and leaked.

Hah...you prolly knew all this to begin with and I didn't answer your question.

good luck

Before you take the step ask your welder if can do a back flow weld. This is where you make a pocket and flow argon gas on the back side of the weld while tig welding the front. This makes for a smooth back side on the weld. Keeps down what we call sugar, it makes things a lot easier to clean. The term is coupler, full coupler. I place a full coupler half into the keg and half out. With tig welding you like the gaps as small as possible. Coupler's don't come is standard OD sizes and hole saw's and drill bit's don't come in sizes to match the couplers. I turn half the length of the coupler to 1 inch diameter on the lathe and drill a 1 inch hole with a hole saw.

Shop around and ask the question can you do back flow welds.
Stop by the shed and I can take care of it for you
Hope this helps

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

Thanks for the info fellas. Whats the procedure for drilling holes? I have the right size step bits but I dont know if a weld shop would prefer to do it themselves.

Here is a link to a 1/2" stainless coupling. If the link doesn't work, the item number is 4464K214 (it is 304 stainless)

McMaster-Carr

Not sure what 'coupler' would work for this application.

good luck

Isn't there a paste or flux of sorts that one could use on the back side when welding?

Latest posts

Back