question about banana smell out of the bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doomtheflame

Reaction score
Heres my question

i brewed this beer

Medium body mash

5lbs pilsn
4.5lbs 2row
1lbs vienna

hop Schedule

amarillo gold .5oz 60min
amarillo gold .5oz 30min
amarillo gold .5oz 10 min

and this yeast
wyeast Northwest ale 1332
fermenting temp 68f

I get insane banana smell coming out of the bubbler

if i put an oz or 2 of amarillo has dry hop can i save my beer from the banana flavor that i dispise more than anything...

I'm no expert (still a novice actually) but I've seen enough of these threads to see the responses coming from a mile away...

old guy that learned to brew with ancient Egyptians said:
Don't worry about it until at least 3 weeks in primary

68° - Is that the liquid temp or ambient? If ambient, the liquid is probably a good 5° or so higher during active fermentation and that could get you some unwanted banana or other fruity esters.

As far as whether your beer will be a banana bomb? It's hard to say, maybe, maybe not. The fact that the banana is coming out of the airlock suggests that the banana is being scrubbed out by the CO2, so you may be okay.

Edit to add: Dry hopping will cover up a lot of sins, so doing so would probably provide some decent anti-banana insurance.

than you for your answer and yes it was ambient did not think the fermenting would take it a 5 degrees above
even so nortwest ale says 65-75 so i was stillgood with my 68 but the real answer that i wanted was the edit in your post thank you :rockin:

Don't worry about it. Fermentation is like puberty, it's ugly and smells funny.

Most yeasts don't produce banana flavors ( I've only gotten that from hefeweisen yeasts, and once from W34/70, a lager yeast).

I don't think your temps are a problem.

Give it a full two weeks and I'll bet you won't detect any banana in the final product.

Don't worry about it. Fermentation is like puberty, it's ugly and smells funny.

Most yeasts don't produce banana flavors ( I've only gotten that from hefeweisen yeasts, and once from W34/70, a lager yeast).

I don't think your temps are a problem.

Give it a full two weeks and I'll bet you won't detect any banana in the final product.

Like he said you can get all kinds of funny smells during active fermentation that have no impact on the finished product. I wouldn't do anything until primary is completed and you can taste a sample. After that proceed however you need to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Agree with just letting it ride for a while.
But you still wanna keep the temps down at the lower end of the range.
Your 68 degrees can translate to as high as 73-75 which is where off flavors and other undesirable things can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back