shelf life of cheap kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATD

Reaction score
A few years ago I picked up 2 wine kits and have just now finally decided to go and set them up. They are Lakeview Valley Farms, and I picked them up at walmart for 7 bucks each on clearance. I figured if nothing else the bottles would be worth that much.

Now then my questions. They have 5 pouches and the grape juice. 2 of the pouches are now mostly empty. One says "Natural Oak Flavoring" and has only a brown film in it the other Says says "Gelatin, Tartaric Acid, Sulphur Dioxide Solution and Pectinase." Are these necessary for making the wine?

Next two of the other pouches might have gone bad, the Bentonie & Yeast Nutrient pouch has some kind of white powder in with the granulated looking stuff. The pouch that says Potassium Metabisulphate & Potassium Sorbate has white powder and some yellow small round sticky looking things. Is this normal or has it gone bad? and are they necessary.

And since I can't see into the packet of yeast I must ask. What is the shelf life of yeast? It's Saccharomyces bayanus. and it says Exp 04 of 2005....... I just noticed that.... Its bad isn't it :eek:

anyway, if it's all bad then I paid 14 bucks for 8 bottles and corks, and 2 airlocks, and some plastic brewing thingys, and a couple tubes for siphoning.
Thanks for your help.

Never heard of the kits that you speak of, but most of the ones that I have seen have a definate shelf life. I am sure yours are past that date.

You could still try them, the only thing you have to lose is time, or just go and buy a good wine kit, which BTW you will not find at Walmart:)

ok so I have some bottles I can use for something else. I have just found that there is a brewing shop within a 2 hour drive. so I will pitch most of this stuff and get some new stuff when I can get to them when they are open.

Back