Expired White Labs Farmhouse Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
So I had a couple of vials of White Labs American Farmhouse blend that I never got around to using after buying them over the summer. Yesterday (October 14th)I was looking in my fridge and noticed that one of the vials expired Oct 2nd, and the other expires today (oct 15). So I brewed up a 3 gallon batch to use them in yesterday, OG of about 1.052. I figured that even though the yeast is expired, the Brett in the blend would help ferment the beer out. But now it's been about 20 hours since pitching, and fermentation hasn't started yet. Should I pitch some more yeast, or just wait for the Brett to do its thing?

next time this happens, make a starter instead. That way you will know if the yeast are still alive. Im willing to bet that they are, as i dont give much credit to expiration dates, especially when you kept it refrigerated. 20 hours is not enough time, wait another day or two before you worry.

I know I should have made a starter, but this was a spur of the moment "oh no I've got to use this yeast right now" kind of a brew day. Plus I usually don't like to make starters with blends and throw off the ratio. With blends I prefer to pitch multiple vials over making a starter.

At this point you have a science project - "Which yeast is the hardiest?"
I'd let it run its course rather than screw around with it and end up with something totally different than what you were shooting for...

Cheers!

it's now been about 30 hours since pitching and it looks like there are finally some signs of life. The surface is just starting to bubble a bit. I am curious to see how it comes out, this is the first time I just made up a recipe on the spot with whatever I had on hand. I ended up using a blend of 2-row and belgian pilsen for the base malt, with about 10% red wheat malt and a bit of 60L crystal and Munich. Hopped with Hallertau and Strisselspalt. The pisser is a lot of times these small 3 gallon "test" batches I do end up being my favorites and then I run out quickly.

it's now been about 30 hours since pitching and it looks like there are finally some signs of life. The surface is just starting to bubble a bit. I am curious to see how it comes out, this is the first time I just made up a recipe on the spot with whatever I had on hand. I ended up using a blend of 2-row and belgian pilsen for the base malt, with about 10% red wheat malt and a bit of 60L crystal and Munich. Hopped with Hallertau and Strisselspalt. The pisser is a lot of times these small 3 gallon "test" batches I do end up being my favorites and then I run out quickly.

Hopefully you wrote up the recipe so at least you can dupe it if you hit a homer! :D

Cheers!

So it finally showed some activity after about 28 hours, some krausen on the surface, airlock started to bubble a bit. But after another day, it already seems to be crapping out. Krausen is starting to fall, surface isn't really actively bubbling anymore. And the airlock is totally still (I don't base everything on airlock activity, but I watched it for a long time and not a single bubble - the inside part is barely floating). I guess I'll just rack it to a secondary and let it sit for a while.

More time on the yeast is rarely a bad thing.. Personally I would leave it in the same container for primary/secondary/conditioning...

Did you take a gravity reading?

Haven't taken a gravity reading yet. I bought a separate thief today to use for sours only, so I will take one tonight. Didn't want to risk funking up my "clean" thief.

Just pulled a sample - gravity is already down to 1.016 from an OG of 1.052. Just goes to reinforce the fact that airlock activity is not the end-all indicator of fermentation. But those little bubbles can be so comforting! However, this beer has dropped 36 points with barely any airlock bubbling at all. I hereby vow never to worry about a lack of airlock bubbling again;)

*** BTW, I tasted the sample and there is already a hint of Brett funkiness-and this thing has been going for less than 4 days! Maybe the slow start by the yeast gave the Brett some time to take over.

Latest posts

Back