secondary fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVIL-TLR

Reaction score
I am some what new to home brewing. Not the drinking part, just the brewing. I started with the Mr. Beer kit years ago, & now have upgraded to bigger & better. I have a easy ?. I did my primary fermentation in a pale, & have now tranfered it in to a cornelius keg. I flushed it with co2 before the transfer. now the ?. Do i charge the keg with co2 for the secondary fermentation as it sits, & if so what psi is good. Thanks.

If you have the corny in your fridge, you're really cold crashing moreso than doing a secondary, which I'd highly reccommend. Either way, I'd wait to put it under pressure until you're ready to serve.

If it's in the fridge, you won't have a secondary fermentation happening. If it's warm, you don't NEED to put any pressure on the keg if it's sealed, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and put 5 psi on it.

It's not in the fridge, i was told to put about 35psi on it by the local beer shop. You think thats too much?

I am some what new to home brewing. Not the drinking part, just the brewing. I started with the Mr. Beer kit years ago, & now have upgraded to bigger & better. I have a easy ?. I did my primary fermentation in a pale, & have now tranfered it in to a cornelius keg. I flushed it with co2 before the transfer. now the ?. Do i charge the keg with co2 for the secondary fermentation as it sits, & if so what psi is good. Thanks.

As was mentioned, if you transferred off of the yeast cake after fermentation was finished, you aren't doing a "secondary fermentation". You've got it in a clearing vessel. If the beer is done, you can carb it or not. It doesn't affect aging.

At room temperature, 35 psi is good. At fridge temperatures, 12 psi is good. It'll carb up while it sits.

Ok, mayb i'm calling it the wrong thing. Yes it is in a clean keg wich is also it final resting spot before going on the tap. It is at room temp for it's 14 day rest to bild carb. Sorry 4 any mix up, i did say i was new to this.

Ok, mayb i'm calling it the wrong thing. Yes it is in a clean keg wich is also it final resting spot before going on the tap. It is at room temp for it's 14 day rest to bild carb. Sorry 4 any mix up, i did say i was new to this.

You can either put it in the fridge or keep it at room temperature- that's up to you. I like to keep them at room temperature if the beer still tastes "young"- because beer ages faster at room temperature. But if tastes like it's just about ready, just not carbed, you can carb it in the fridge instead.

Latest posts

Back