Chloramine in the Primaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craven_morhead

Reaction score
I have my first 2 batches humming away in their fermenters, and learned today that Denver has about 4 ppm of chloramine in the municipal water. I've been boiling my top-off water and then cooling it, and have now learned that I need campden tablets to neutralize the chloramines. In the meantime, is there anything to be done for the batches that are already fermenting? And don't worry, I'm not planning on dumping anything.

If you've got visible fermentation, then apparently the yeasts were not affected, so nothing is really necessary at this point. I always add campden to strike and sparge waters.

If you've got visible fermentation, then apparently the yeasts were not affected, so nothing is really necessary at this point. I always add campden to strike and sparge waters.

Chloramines don't stop fermentation, they can lead to off flavors.

Don't worry about it too much. Chloramines don't cause as much of an off-flavor as chlorine. I don't think there is much you can do about your batches that are already going though. As I understand it, the medicinal chlorophenols are produced by the interaction of chlorine with grain husks, so I think your water needs to be dechlorinated prior to coming in contact with the grain.

I've been brewing with Denver Water (mine comes from Marston reservoir) for a while, and I haven't had a problem with off-flavors from the low levels of chloramines present. I think you'll end up with delicious beer.

In many other respects, Denver water is excellent brewing water, unless you're brewing very light lagers or ales. Dilution with distilled water can get you into good mineral ranges for those light colored brews. It's only necessary (IMO) if you're brewing all-grain. Extract beers are much less sensitive to mineral levels.

Sounds good. I'll probably pick up a bottle of campden tabs for a cheap peace of mind, but I won't lose any sleep over what's cooking away. I haven't been able to taste any chemical flavors in the drinking water so far, so I don't think the amount in the water right now should be a big deal.

Back