Cheap or Free Hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm stuck in an apartment for the next 6 weeks or so. All of my stuff is in storage 2000 miles away. I'm looking for something to do that's low cost but entertaining. Any advice? I like any and all beer related things, woodworking, fixing things. I just really miss hanging out in my garage and doing little projects. I'm in Omaha if that makes any difference, I've met some good guys but I need something to keep me busy.

Check out Bench, they can probably take care of that "hanging out in my garage and doing little projects" itch -- it's a collaborative workshop. They've got all the tools, you bring your own supplies. Might not fit your definition of cheap - $35/day, unless you buy a $75/month membership, and then it's $10/day.

August 22nd is the Great Nebraska Beer Fest. Held at Werner Park (Papillion, SW side of Omaha). I want to say last year there was something like 70 breweries there. $44 ticket.

If you happen to be able to get mail sent to a non-Omaha area ZIP code and then sent on to you (say, a friend back home, wherever that 2,000 miles away is), send in for the Omaha Craft Beer Explorer's Guide. It's a book with a coupon for a free beer at 9 different local breweries, and once you've visited them all, you can stop by the Omaha Visitors Center for a free pint glass.

I'll see if I can think of more later -- my sister and her family live in Omaha, so I'm down there about once a month or so (Was just there this weekend, will be back down for the beer fest in August)

1. Get beat up guitar and case at pawn shop
  2. make "Need Lessons" sign
  3. go to bus stop
  4. play horribly
  5. go to bar or pay for lessons with donations

Back