swagelok vs compression fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used both compression fittings versus the swage lok fittings, if either works or what one would preferd, i am about the upgrade my electric MLT with a herms coil, this includes updating dip tube. here is exaples of swagelok and compression fittings
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=94 and

scroll down a little to see the kettle fitting with the swage lok

http://www.weldlessfittings.com/kettlefittings.html

is there any difference? pros cons?

Swagelok is a BRAND of compression fitting. The brand really doesn't matter. However, Swagelok has been used to describe all compression fittings in some circles just like "bandaid" is used to name all bandages in common conversation.

well i think my question is more of, the swage lok is an all mettal compression fitting, there are also compression fitting that use high temp o-rings, is one better than other, or if ou can swing it, is the metal compression fitting better vs the o-ring compressin, really appreciat the info

All compression fittings come stock with metal ferrules and it makes for a permanent connection to the piece of tubing. Once you tighten it down for real, the metal ring gets mechanically bonded to the tubing and provides a sealing surface that the compression nut pushes against the interior taper.

The homebrew market is what drove the use of orings stacked as a replacement ferrule. I don't know who came up with it but it allows for a seal with hand tightening of the nut and it's not permanent. I supply both the orings and the original metal ferrules with my diptubes.

Bobby_m i aprecieate all the info , i am just wondering the longeity or eaes of use for the o-rings vs metal, i am lucky enought if the swagelok is better i can spring for it, but if i don't get any added benefit, compressions with oring works for me. just trying to make the better choice for my setup

If I thought the metal ferrules were better, I wouldn't incur the additional expense and effort for the silicone orings. If you didn't like it, you can replace the orings with the included metal ferrules and permanently "swage" them onto the tubing.

thats cool bobby, so i am thinking the compressionfittings with the orings are a better option for me. I was just trying to understand the difference, if there was one or if one option was "better" than the other. I do appreciate th input.

so when using the older style (single ferrule) compression fitings do you replace the ferrule with the o-rings or use them in conjunction some how? And with the "swagelok" style fittings can you use o-rings or do you have to use the derlin plastic ferrule?

I recommend removing all metal ferrules and replacing with a short stack of orings in almost all cases as long as it's for low pressure situations. You really can't beat how easy it is to seal and remove the connection by hand.

The stacked o-rings work fine.

We have moved to a delrin plastic compression sleeve to replace the larger compression ferrule in the pickup tubes for non permanent installs.

The plastic compression ferrule will tighten up and install quickly. Hand tight with just a bit of pressure with a wrench is all it takes.

We have moved to a delrin plastic compression sleeve to replace the larger compression ferrule in the pickup tubes for non permanent installs.

The plastic compression ferrule will tighten up and install quickly. Hand tight with just a bit of pressure with a wrench is all it takes.

i couldnt find them anywhere on your webpage, only with new purchases?

^^ What Bobby said. It's more of price point for our uses.

If it matters to anyone Swagelok tends to hold up significantly longer than the other brands. At least that has been my experience. But for what your average homebrewer uses it for the brand probably doesn't make a huge difference.

For the homebrewer I really don't think you'll notice any difference in name brands. Swagelok is like the "Snap-on tools" of compression fittings. Most of the time your paying more for the name and what it's certified for. A lot of the import and some domestic fittings are not certified for anything that goes up in the air. Swagelok and possibly Parker are. Another thing to look for when buying compression fittings is the dual ferrule design. The back ferrule spins while the front ferrule compresses on the tubing. The single ferrule design can twist the tube while the nut is being tightened making it weaker.

The oring or plastic ferrule is probably the way to go. Once that ferrule is on...it's on for good!

The big difference is single v double ferrule. If you are going to go the the metal ferrule route, go with double ferrule, single ferrules are a major PITA. I've had all kinds of issues with them. The double ferrules seal much more consistently and stand up to repeated use.

For homebrewers, a polymer or elastomeric ferrule is probably a much better choice since most of us never deal with more than a few psi of pressure in our systems.

When using the Delrin ferrule are you still supposed to use the smaller of the two stainless ones or just the Delrin one by itself?

If anyone does end up using the stainless ferrules, a proper swage is finger tight and then 8 flats with a wrench (1 1/4 turns). FYI

I've seen people tighten those suckers down to the stop or not enough and it is a compromised seal, but for our applications it isn't too critical.

When using the Delrin ferrule are you still supposed to use the smaller of the two stainless ones or just the Delrin one by itself?

You will use the smaller of the two ferrules and then the delrin ring.

pickupinstruct1.jpg

Back