• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

E-HERMS Complete Set Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
I'm very excited to offer this system up for sale. I had some extra parts lying around after I built my current control panel and system so I decided it would be fun to use them to build another complete set up and then sell to someone looking to get into all grain or moving to all electric. Here's what I have:

DSC_0654-1.jpg

DSC_0642.jpg

DSC_0653-1.jpg

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0662-1.jpg

DSC_0661.jpg

DSC_0657-1.jpg

DSC_0655-1.jpg

Its a 2 vessel electric HERMs set up, all stainless steel construction except for the HERMs coil which is copper. It's run by a 5500 watt heating element controlled by PIDs within the control panel as shown. It has controls for the recirculation pump as well. This system can make 5-10 gallon batches no problem. All you need is your own boil kettle. The controller was built so that you could use it to control your boils as well if you decide to upgrade to an electric boil kettle as well.

Obviously the control panel is modeled after Kal's famous build. I built a full Kal clone for my brewery and love it, but realized that a lot of the bells and whistles aren't necessary to make excellent beer. So, this controller is a simplified version that can still do everything you need it to do, but is a little less expensive to build.

Details

11.5 Gallon Stainless Steel Mash Tun with SS False Bottom (from Sabco)
11.5 Gallon Stainless Steel HLT with Copper HERMS coil, sight gauge, and 5500W heating element
All Stainless Steel Ball Valves
March Pump
Stainless steel Quick Disconnects with high temp silicone hoses
Steel Stand painted with rustoleum

Controller
Runs on 30A/240V Service
Has 2 PIDs (brand new Aubers)
Controls for 2 Heating elements (one for the HLT and one for a Boil kettle if added in the future)
On/Off control for Recirculation pump
Large Aluminum Heat Sink
Locking Plugs for 1 heating element, the pump, and 2 temp probes

The temp probes can currently be used to monitor the HLT temp and Mash temp. However, if you use this for boiling, you simply switch the mash temp probe to your boil kettle (quick disconnect) and now you can use the 2nd PID to control your boil:)

I used nothing but high quality materials for this build and I spent a lot of time making sure I did everything right, just like I was going to use this system for myself. Its been tested, adjusted and is 100% ready to Mash!!

I'm basically looking to recover what I put into it so its priced accordingly.
Asking $2000 for the complete set up.

Not interested in parting out because the system is plug and play.
I will ship at buyer's expense, but it may be cheaper to consider a road trip to pick it up. I will consider delivery within reason, but we'll need to share the cost of gas.

Please PM me for questions or additional pics. I can send high quality close ups and I also plan on posting a video of it in operation if interested. Thanks for looking!

By the way, if there are any features you'd like that aren't currently on this system let me know. I'd be willing to work with you on adding them. For example, if you really want a timer on the control panel I'd be willing to add one and we could work out a price agreement.

Replied via PM. But, to answer your question: I would be willing to try shipping, however, with the stand that would be expensive and difficult.

St. Louis is around 5 and a half hours from Cincy. If you're definitely interested I'd be willing to meet you somewhere in the middle (maybe Indianapolis or Terre Haut?)

By the way. Here's a link to the video I promised I was working on. It's kind of lame and not the best quality, but it was fun to make anyway:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously considering this if I can somehow scare up the dough. With the addition of a CFC this could work like jkarps table top Brutus 2.

Let me know for sure. I am willing to meet for delivery within reasonable distance from Cincinnati. Its a great system, I'm honestly just doing this for fun. I'm barely making back what I put into it by selling it at this price. I use a system just like this one and I can testify that it works really well and produces excellent beer in a reliable, repeatable fashion. Plus, its really fun to use! You'll never regret going all electric and getting to brew indoors.

Well due to some circumstances, I'm on the brewing backburner, however, if I ever get out of my current conundrum, I'll contract you to build me one.

This seems like a very good deal. I am in the process of scrounging together some scratch for a RIMS build, but if I were looking to spend 2K I would be contacting you. Best of luck selling this!

Thanks guys! I built it for fun and to hopefully help someone who is already in the market for a system and is looking for something that's built well and is easy to use at a way better price than other complete systems out there. Or, if you're just looking to get in to all grain and you are the type of person that only likes to have to buy things once...this is the system for you. I built it to last and this is the last all grain equipment you'll ever need to buy unless you want to go commercial!

SOLD

Thanks for all the interest. There's a strong possibility I may build another control box in the future so keep your eyes peeled:)

Thanks for the interest guys. I've had a lot of people ask me about building a control box like this. Its hard for me to say exactly what it would cost to build because some of the parts I already had when I built this one. However, a quick estimate including a small amount for my labor/time for a box just like this including temp probes would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000-1200.
If I were to agree to build this for someone I would of course have to put together a much more exact figure. It would vary based on whether or not you wanted me to include temp probes and cords for the elements/pumps and any other special requests you had etc.
PM me if you're serious about one. I wouldn't mind having a couple more projects to work on:)

I'll be in touch to commission you when the time's right, I've got some plans brewing, but it's going to be awhile. I think that you'll like the idea when I've got the whole thing together.

Back