Whats the process for fruit in a fruit press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pattycakes888

Reaction score
Just built a cider press for myself! it came out awesome, all the supplies came to under 80 bucks and it works great. I know for apples you have to pulp them before you press them, but what about other fruits like grapes, berries, and peaches. I feel like they're so soft and juicy alone that the sheer force from the jack will cause them to juice without having to break them up any smaller (besides the peaches which i figure you have to split in half and remove the pit)

Most fruits and berries it's a good idea to use cheesecloth in the press, but you don't have to grind them. Apples and pears, yes.

With grapes they go through a destemmer then a crusher, which is rollers which just squeeze the berries until the skins break. You can do this yourself by stomping the grapes. However for white grapes they also do whole bunch pressing so I think for soft fruits that would be fine. It depends if you want to extract colour and flavour from the pulp, which you do by crushing then fermenting with the pulp, then pressing.

Back