Sierra Nevada - Tumbler brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
http://beernews.org/2010/05/sierra-nevada-tumbler-to-replace-anniversary-ale-this-year/
(Chico, CA) – Sierra Nevada Brewing has nixed Anniversary Ale and will replace it with Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale later this year.

Anniversary Ale, an American IPA, was introduced in August of 2007 and made a brief three-year run. I asked Sierra Nevada Brewing’s Bill Manley why the brewery is making the change:

“First of all, since we are celebrating our 30th anniversary in 2010 with this series of special beers, we thought it would be strange to release another ‘anniversary’ beer in a 12-ounce package in addition to all of these big-bottle specialties.

Secondly, we wanted a beer that was more appropriate for the fall season. Something that suggested the rich and roasty flavors that we come to associate with cooler temperatures. Tumbler is made with fresh roasted malt straight from the roasting kilns and into the brewery. We have an agreement with our maltsters to deliver our malt within days of cooling for a much more pronounced roasted-grain flavor to the beer. Think of coffee…coffee fresh out of a roaster, tastes much different from coffee that’s been sitting on the shelf for weeks. The same principals apply to malt. These grains have a similar caramelization and volatile aroma profile, and we want to harness it as quickly as possible.

There's more at the link posted above. Methinks I'll be picking up a bit o' this in the fall. :mug:

doohhh.... I was just reminiscing over the Anniversary beer today and thinking about how much I was looking forward to it coming out. WTF, now I won't be getting any :(

Kind of a bummer, but I do like a good Brown Ale. We always have Celebration Ale to look forward to. I like that they are mixing it up a bit.

I just saw this beer on their website. I'm heading up there tomorrow to take the tour and get lost in their draft selection. I welcome the change. They have an onslaught of hop forward American ales available all year so this rounds their selection out nicely. The Anniversary Ale always seemed like an odd release right before Celebration Ale in the Winter.

I had a couple of these tonight, it's mighty tasty. It has some nice nutty,toffee tones to it. A little alcohol as it warms. Another solid brew from SN.:mug:

I am drinking one right now. Simply outstanding, truly a great tasting beer. Thank you Sierra Nevada

I recently tried a few of these. Pretty solid brew. Kind of bland though. I think a smoked version of this would be perfect for fall.

I was just about to write a new post about this. I'm a homebrew, a Saison du Buff, and 2 Tumblers deep. These are really tasty. It's a really roasted malty flavor with subdued hops. Like other said, it's got a nutty/toffee flavore to it and I'm really digging this.

Solid brown ale, nice addition but it didn't knock my socks off. It's missing something imo.

I only had one bottle of this stuff and think the aroma is nasty. Seriously smells like fresh dog poo. Maybe it was the one bottle I drank. Anyway, it was bad enough that I decided I wouldn't be buying any of it.

If your Dogs pooh smells like that maybe you should check out it's pee:mug:

I think you need to try another bottle, mine didn't smell bad.

Had my first one tonight. Does it knock my socks off? No*.

I rarely like American brown ales that aren't hoppy (WTF etc). Sierra Nevada just made the first non-hoppy but interesting american brown ale. Close to perfect for what they were going for.

*I've had Canadian Breakfast Stout and Rauch Geek Breakfast tonight, I don't have any socks left to knock off.

Great beer. Nice malty, roasty tones without being over the top in any direction (which almost seems to be a novel concept these days). Still plenty hot in Florida right now but this beer goes down quite easily for it's style. Wish they would make this a regular offering.

I swear this beer tastes completly different every time I have one. Had one last night and I could really pick out the smoked malt. When I first had this 6 weeks ago I really enjoyed it, but now, not so much.

Had one on tap a few weeks ago. Not bad, very drinkable, completely boring. Worth a try, but I won't buy it again.

I'm in the same boat as you. Too me it tastes like their Pale mixed with the Porter but with too much yeast still in suspension. I'll stick with the porter.

Split a bomber with a buddy today. He loved it, as he was chewing a piece of gum and drinking :confused: I found it to be enjoyable but nothing special. I will probably buy a sixer and give it another go.

Bought a sixer, thought it was a nice mildly roasty brown ale. Kinda thin in the mouth but very drinkable... Might grab another 6 before the season is over.

Well it's August and I found a few 6 packs here in Hawai`i. Hope it's not left over from last year. Seems a bit early for an autumn brew. Bought warm so it's still in the chiller. Will crack one in an hour or so.

Well it's August and I found a few 6 packs here in Hawai`i. Hope it's not left over from last year. Seems a bit early for an autumn brew. Bought warm so it's still in the chiller. Will crack one in an hour or so.

Check the serial on the side of the bottle above the UPC. Sierra has their date code inside the numbers.

http://www.sierranevada.com/codehelp.html

i found these at the local grocery while picking up some new york steaks. I had to get them for the little ladie since she loves brown ales. SN pale is my personal favorite. so i thought why not. we loved it has a nice roasted flavor and a lite sweetness not to much. very well balanced. very enjoyable well done SN!

I had one of these a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty solid. I bought a few other craft beers that day that were received much better than the Autumn Brown Ale but I personally liked it much better than the rest I had. After reading this thread I think I may have to pick up a 12 pack of it to share this weekend. Sierra Nevada has never disappointed me now that I think of it. Always a safe beer in my book. Pretty impressive with the volume they are putting out there.

ya thats a good point. I dont think I have ever had a bad SN. im thinking of tryn to make a SN black and tan.

I just had one of these for the first time yesterday. It was fine... a good, drinkable brown ale. It didn't stand out to me as particularly fantastic but I certainly liked it.

Back