Weird bottling problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
So I started recently using mostly old glass bottles with caps as my primary bottling system. Before I had plastic PET bottles and about 12 liter swing top bottles. Now I still like to use the glass bottles because their nice and I paid a good bit for them. Now half of the glass bottles 2 batches ago and almost all the glass bottles from this batch are almost totally uncarbonated. It's possible that I'm just not doing a good job closing them, but its unlikely. The capped/PET bottles seem to do fine...what am I missing?

My swing-tops haven't been used enough to replace, but I read in a thread somewhere that after every 5-6 uses, replacement is a good policy. I bought a bag of the gaskets from Midwest, and they're cheap enough.....

I've found some gaskets to compress after a couple uses, I replace them when I use my grolsches.

Back