New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that didn't take long.
After clearing some space in my brewing cupboard thanks to my new fridge... I just filled that with 5L of JAOM mead.

Lawnmower beer has finished at 3% after a week. Will throw a pinch of Simcoe in tomorrow and bottle on the weekend, ready for Christmas barbecues.

Well that didn't take long.
After clearing some space in my brewing cupboard thanks to my new fridge... I just filled that with 5L of JAOM mead.

Lawnmower beer has finished at 3% after a week. Will throw a pinch of Simcoe in tomorrow and bottle on the weekend, ready for Christmas barbecues.

Awesome.. As long as your mead doesn't beat mine at NHC :)

re-brew of the WCIPA challenge beer done. Changed it up a little. Mashed a little lower and subbed out US Cascade for Centenniel. Managed to sneak in a taste last night when checking the gravity. O M F G!!
Juicy man, passion-fruit, lychee, mango, nectarine.....all those tropical fruits on the tongue and the bitterness is AWESOME!!! 2 dry hop additions to go, then cold crash and bottling!

NZLunchie said:
re-brew of the WCIPA challenge beer done. Changed it up a little. Mashed a little lower and subbed out US Cascade for Centenniel. Managed to sneak in a taste last night when checking the gravity. O M F G!! Juicy man, passion-fruit, lychee, mango, nectarine.....all those tropical fruits on the tongue and the bitterness is AWESOME!!! 2 dry hop additions to go, then cold crash and bottling!
Nice work.
I remember the last one you sent through.
How's the clarity, I remember it was a bit hazy last time.

Nice work.
I remember the last one you sent through.
How's the clarity, I remember it was a bit hazy last time.

Another one coming your way when this ones done. Clarity I HOPE will be better this time round. I used a hop bag in the boil this time and till be dry hopping in a bag as well - hope that drops the hop haze that I reckon it was.

/edit
Just measured it - 1.012 down from 1.072. Massive bitter punch, floral tropical nose. Man its gooooood

NZLunchie said:
Another one coming your way when this ones done. Clarity I HOPE will be better this time round. I used a hop bag in the boil this time and till be dry hopping in a bag as well - hope that drops the hop haze that I reckon it was. /edit Just measured it - 1.012 down from 1.072. Massive bitter punch, floral tropical nose. Man its gooooood
Yeah some definite hop haze. For me there was something else that contributed to the haze what that was I dunno. Not an off flavour just a haze causing protein.
Something that's seeming to help my clarity is acid malt. Around 1-1.5% lowering the mash Ph to an acceptable level.
Cheers ears I'll drop a bottle or two in the box and ship em back before you do.

brewed up an attempt at a scottish ale on monday (Birthday day off) I missed the OG by a serious 6 point, should have been 1.063 but hit 1.057, i was aiming for something bigger than an export 80/- but smaller than a wee heavy, with plenty of robust malt flavour.
Using MJ Burton Yeast, so fingers crossed it turns out well.

Really pushing the time table to the absolute limit as I try to get my first two attempts at kegging ready for a party. I pitched last Thursday night on a blonde and a red IPA, hit FG on Monday, racked off to a secondary to get it away from the degassing trub and remnants of a Krausen and am cold crashing as we speak. Will keg tomorrow and force carb at 25 PSI and then drop it 12 PSI on Saturday morning with the hope of having a nice carbonated beer for my Saturday night party. Samples are great. Fingers crossed. I'm seriously pushing it here :)

Finally figured out my over carbing issues. Yeast has fermented in the bottle. And is due to high heat in my garage. This may be a yeast health issue as well.
Time to be more careful

iTS BEEN AWHILE SINCE ANYONES POSTED HERE....
SO HERES A QUICK UPDATE.
BELGIAN IPA V 2 BOTTLED, BLACK IPA BOTTLED AND FIRST EVER EXPERIENCE WITH BRETTANOMYCES IS CURRENTLY IN PRIMARY FERMENTATION, BEFORE ADDING BRETT TO SECONDARY.
AFTERTHIS WILL BE A NZPALE ALE, IN THE VEIN OF HOPWIRED, WITH LOWER IBU AND LOWER GRAVITY (AND SOME RIWAKA) WHICH WILL BE MY FIRST EVER KEGGED BEER.
GRAIN MILL IS TO BE PURCHASED SOON AS WELL.

iTS BEEN AWHILE SINCE ANYONES POSTED HERE....
SO HERES A QUICK UPDATE.
BELGIAN IPA V 2 BOTTLED, BLACK IPA BOTTLED AND FIRST EVER EXPERIENCE WITH BRETTANOMYCES IS CURRENTLY IN PRIMARY FERMENTATION, BEFORE ADDING BRETT TO SECONDARY.
AFTERTHIS WILL BE A NZPALE ALE, IN THE VEIN OF HOPWIRED, WITH LOWER IBU AND LOWER GRAVITY (AND SOME RIWAKA) WHICH WILL BE MY FIRST EVER KEGGED BEER.
GRAIN MILL IS TO BE PURCHASED SOON AS WELL.

Nice, I'm thinking about try Brett soon. I just bottled my first black iipa, 150g each of Motueka, kohatu, Waimea and Wakatu and it's tasting like my most bitter beer ever!
My super stout is struggling, not getting any action at 15-16% :(

What grain mill are you thinking of getting ?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Nice, I'm thinking about try Brett soon. I just bottled my first black iipa, 150g each of Motueka, kohatu, Waimea and Wakatu and it's tasting like my most bitter beer ever!
My super stout is struggling, not getting any action at 15-16% :(

What grain mill are you thinking of getting ?

Black IIPA with NZ Hops, Sounds like a tasty brew. Mine was just a standard IPa, using 100% Mosaic, tasting good so far.

This is the Mill I'm currently planning on:
http://allgrain.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=14_17&products_id=327&osCsid=lt8umjcijqqvep1uu1eolbn1a5

15-16% is ok though right? what were you aiming for? Looking forward to trying your beers as well too, I've got plenty of citra, in the freezer, and I've always wondered about making a saison with them.

Black IIPA with NZ Hops, Sounds like a tasty brew. Mine was just a standard IPa, using 100% Mosaic, tasting good so far.

This is the Mill I'm currently planning on:

http://allgrain.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=14_17&products_id=327&osCsid=lt8umjcijqqvep1uu1eolbn1a5

15-16% is ok though right? what were you aiming for? Looking forward to trying your beers as well too, I've got plenty of citra, in the freezer, and I've always wondered about making a saison with them.

Looks like a good mill.
I was aiming for another 20%+ brew. Right now it's like sweet marmite, I'm probably going to have to pitch more yeast.
This black NZ iipa is only my 2nd NZ hop combo IPA so I'm hoping the combination works, my first one was like fruit salad, hence why I did most from then on with USA hops. Mosaic should be pretty tasty

Looks like a good mill.
I was aiming for another 20%+ brew. Right now it's like sweet marmite, I'm probably going to have to pitch more yeast.
This black NZ iipa is only my 2nd NZ hop combo IPA so I'm hoping the combination works, my first one was like fruit salad, hence why I did most from then on with USA hops. Mosaic should be pretty tasty

Yeah reasonably priced too. Mosaic certainly shows some promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Having a bit of a slow down here. Got a Schwarzbier doing a diacetyl rest which will tie up the fermenting fridge for a little while. My first lager. Looking and tasting pretty good so far.

Brewing a Motueka Alesner today, reasonably simple, just pilsner malt a bit of wheat and carapils, 150g of Motueka and the mangrove jacks workhorse (first time with this yeast)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Home Brew mobile app

Anyone have a source for some little 200 - 250ml flip tops for my mead? Briscoes and farmers have nice bottles but they are around 5$ each :(

Will any kiwis read this?? I am based out near HUNTLY. Only been brewing since January but have racked up four brews. Started on extract and soon got bored so the second was a dry hopped clone of boundary road stolen base. Then I went to a partial mash which turned out like ruddles county bitter and the last is in the fermentor and is a marstons pedigree clone.

I have sourced some local apple juice from greenways for $1.30 a litre in pasteurised and unfiltered. So will be doing a cider in a week or so.

Loving all the quality micro brews available here now. Much better than when we moved here seven years ago. Very basic kit here but it does the job and makes good sometimes surprisingly good beer

Matt

Will any kiwis read this?? I am based out near HUNTLY. Only been brewing since January but have racked up four brews. Started on extract and soon got bored so the second was a dry hopped clone of boundary road stolen base. Then I went to a partial mash which turned out like ruddles county bitter and the last is in the fermentor and is a marstons pedigree clone.

I have sourced some local apple juice from greenways for $1.30 a litre in pasteurised and unfiltered. So will be doing a cider in a week or so.

Loving all the quality micro brews available here now. Much better than when we moved here seven years ago. Very basic kit here but it does the job and makes good sometimes surprisingly good beer

Matt

Welcome to the obsession!!

I'm planning a double Vienna SMaSH to christen the kegs, Riwaka in one and Citra in the other, or maybe Centennial.....hmmmmm decisions.

2 kegs?! Hahaha, I got the same. Mine will be filled with. My planned NZXPA. Aoraki Warrior.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah bro, dual kegs. Just sorting co2. Be using dirty old SodaStream bottles until I can sort a big tank :tank:

Yeah I bought a tank especially, 3.5kg for $190 here in chch.
Cutting up my fridge tonight, to get my taps in, already got a hole for the co2 line.
Looking forward to it.

Kingsland, Auckland. Making wines out of fruit and vegetables. Only just returned to the hobby after decades away. Photo blog on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152048803666313&type=1&l=33937a81c8

Edit: Add photo. Left to right:- Carrot, Celery, Tomato, Onion, Guava, Cabbage, Pineapple, and 90% Carrot + 10% Beetroot.

SDC10285.jpg

Kingsland, Auckland. Making wines out of fruit and vegetables. Only just returned to the hobby after decades away. Photo blog on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152048803666313&type=1&l=33937a81c8

Edit: Add photo. Left to right:- Carrot, Celery, Tomato, Onion, Guava, Cabbage, Pineapple, and 90% Carrot + 10% Beetroot.

All I can say is WOW! That's a lot of different ingredients, do you do anything to them before fermentation?

All I can say is WOW! That's a lot of different ingredients, do you do anything to them before fermentation?

No. Traditionally vegetable wines are made from the liquid that the sliced vegetables have been boiled in, and extra ingredients such as raisins, apples, ginger, lemons, etc are used. But I have purchased a slow juicer that produces juice from just about anything and I want to experiment with wines from fresh juice alone ... and sugar and yeast. And to try savoury wines for marinades, soups and other cooking. The lees from the cabbage have been a wonderful addition to soups and noodles.

I've just juiced a small quantity of hard unripe windfall feijoa. The juice is recognisably feijos, but green and bitter. As you can see, I am an experimentalist.

Nuts!

Just tried my latest brew. I used black rock IPA bag kit, 1.4kg pale ale malt,500g of dark roasted malts and burton yeast. I then used 30g of cascade at 5 mins and then 30 grams of fuggles at 30mins.

I bottled it on Saturday in750ml plastic bottles and one carbing tab.

I have surprised myself. It has this malty chocolate aroma that flows onto the palette. The hops are pretty well balanced and up front. It's an awesome deep red colour.

Ethan time I want to use dme instead of the pack and beef up the grains with some crystal or something.

Cheers

Matt.

Ps looking to move to Marton. Someone here is down manawatu?

Hey all

NZ here (in Palmerston North). Didn't realise we have our own thread here. Very new to the brewing game, only been at it since December last year. So far, into fruit wines and ciders. Experience limited to Loquats (since that's the tree in our backyard that went mental this summer). I have about 2.5kg of de-seeded plums in the freezer, which I'm contemplating what to do with. In the meantime, it's just waiting for my Loquat wine to clear before I bottle, and my experimental batch of Loquat cider is in its first week still.

Lots of loquat trees around Auckland, and I've gone out to pick them along the motorway, but they are always too ratty. Birds and disease mean there's not enough to be worth picking. Sounds like you have hit the jackpot.

Apples are very cheap at the moment. 79 cents a kilo for Royal Gala.

Can't recall if I posted this or not but greenway juices at te kauwhata sells fresh unpastuerised apple juice straight into you fermentor for about $1.30 a litre. Just give them a call to make sure they're pressing that day

http://www.arthurholmes.co.nz try these guys, not sure on the price but got to be cheaper

Thanks Revo. Not so cheap in small quantities and need to add gst too.
The Mrs found some 250ml flip tops at the supermarket for 3$ a piece. Quite flimsy but should do the job.

Just realised I can do my lagering in my beer fridge, freeing up the fermenting fridge for the brewshop citra/zythos IPA and Black IPA (which I'll water down into a very tasty American Stout).

Latest posts

Back