Yeastcake been sitting three days ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kula

Reaction score
I siphoned a blonde ale off the yeast (s-04) and planned to throw a porter on top of it right away. Got a little delayed so a few days have passed and the cake has just been sitting at room temp (65*). Any reason why I shouldn't still use this cake?

Thanks!

as long as the container was sealed up well there shouldnt be any infection prone bacteria or so. Most people suggest you dont pitch directly on a yeast cake anymore. They say take about a quarter cup of slurry. Pitching on a yeast cake is a massive over pitch.

I just did this after having a yeast cake sit for almost 2 weeks in a sealed carboy. I usually make a starter for my beers and they take off like a rocket within a few hours when pitched but I was short on time. I used the whole cake for a 20 gallon batch and it took about 2 1/2 days to show signs of activity and then the airlocks were bubbling like crazy. Not the best practice, but I will still end up with beer.

Really? That little? I'd think you'd want to scoop out about a quart or so to pitch on, but truth be told I've got no science to say why.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

you can enter the size of your batch and gravity and it will give you the amount of slurry you need. for a 5 gallon batch of 1.048 batch you need about 87 ml which is 1/3 cup. So i guess a bit more than a 1/4 cup

Hey guys thanks for the info and links. That's a good one Mumassan. I ended up pitching a little more than a half cup of slurry which is about what Mr Malty said for a 1060 gravity of a batch my size. Bubbling away...

Back