$65 an hour? WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Jeep has terrible electrical plms !! I want to fix it, then sell it ... new battery, started up, ran for a day, now nothing .. I love the Jeep in the snow, but I just hope the computer isn't fried..

!! neighbor just fixed it .. no tow required, and I am paying him by doing a complete rebuild of his netbook

easy for him, and easy for me..

Adjusting your price between customers (we'll assume individuals and local - not commercial or far away) is a sure-fire way of not getting repeat business in the neighborhood, and a good way to destroy word-of-mouth.

So much so, in fact, that in our neighborhood we've set-up a mailing list, and often you will see recommendations of electricians, HVAC, etc from neighbors, and you will also see "That guy is a rip-off" emails flying by.

I've asked "general quotes" (as in, how much to do such-and-such work) and if the guy obviously tries to size me up by asking where I live (asking which neighborhood is a give-away), I will walk away telling him "Thanks, but no thanks".

M_C
When I ask someone where they live, it's not so I can alter my prices. I also don’t give quotes over the phone, because every job is different. I can give you a ball park figure or range for price but that’s about it. When I come to your house and can inspect the job, you’ll get a more accurate idea of how much it’ll cost. Also I may have underestimated the similar job before yours. If I figured that it’ll take X number of time and materials and I’ve underestimated, I’d correct that for the next job.
Long Island has two main counties, Suffolk and Nassau and within those counties are towns. Many of these little towns require a separate Electrician's license (Each with their own fees of course. Seven in Nassau Cty..). Let's say that I'm going to upgrade your electrical service from 100 to 200 amps. It can cost you $100 more depending on which side of the street you live on. (that's just the permit fee, I still have to charge you for my time to go to the town hall and file that permit). Many people are not aware of that. If two people live next door to one another, one a 70 year old, probably living on a fixed income, and the other a younger person with a Mercedes in the driveway, should I charge them the same? I guess in an ideal world yes. I’d rather give the older person the break and charge my normal price to the younger. If they're similar situations, I charge the same. Also, I don't want to make it seem like I charge an exorbitant amount more.

If two people live next door to one another, one a 70 year old, probably living on a fixed income, and the other a younger person with a Mercedes in the driveway, should I charge them the same? I guess in an ideal world yes. I’d rather give the older person the break and charge my normal price to the younger. If they're similar situations, I charge the same. Also, I don't want to make it seem like I charge an exorbitant amount more.

That's not quite what you said the first time though:

petey_c said:
If I pull up to your driveway and see big dollar vehicles and a big dollar house, my price will reflect that. People would grouse about how I charged $60 to remove and replace a ceiling fixture.

M_C

Just wanted to pop in and say this:

1. called garage door repair place last week. price: $60 an hour (with $5 fuel surcharge)
2. called sprinkler repair place recently. price: $65 for the first hour

Considering the irreplacable data that can reside on a PC, $65 an hour is on the cheap side.

Just wanted to pop in and say this:

1. called garage door repair place last week. price: $60 an hour (with $5 fuel surcharge)
2. called sprinkler repair place recently. price: $65 for the first hour

Considering the irreplacable data that can reside on a PC, $65 an hour is on the cheap side.

I'm laughing only because I have nothing super important on my computer now, or before the cleaning. If its important, its on a sheet of paper!

Canuck, I should have made myself more clear. I don't ream people with money. My prices are income proportional. I try and charge a fair price overall. The only times I would estimate very high, is when I want to price myself out of a job. Much like when you talk to contractors, ya get a bad feeling about somebody.
I'd say that my biggest problem with estimates now, is having my prices compared to un-licensed Craig's list-ers. I think that I'm starting (?) to stray off the OT now.

My prices are income proportional.

That's where I have a problem. A job is a job, whatever salary I make is none of your business and should not reflect how much you charge.

If I were to hire you at $X per hour, and found out from a friend/relative that you charged him $X-20 per hour, you can bet your a$$ that you'd get word of mouth, and not the good kind.

How would you feel, when you received your electric bill, if there was a box that read: "Income-based adjustment: +$135.09" ???

M_C

I'm laughing only because I have nothing super important on my computer now, or before the cleaning. If its important, its on a sheet of paper!
How are those family photos working out? Hand cramping up from all the drawing :p

That's where I have a problem. A job is a job, whatever salary I make is none of your business and should not reflect how much you charge.
Agreed, that's crappy.

My son just had 9 bids for a new furnace and new air conditioner. The bids ran from $4400 to $6600 after all rebates taken. When he called the higher bidders to tell them they would not get the job they all said they could have cut the price down... it just goes to show that the best thing to do is shop around.

M_C, Since I have a regular FT job and a lower overhead I can be very flexible in my pricing. There are many other electricians here that charge $35+/hr more than my highest rate. Even if I charge you the highest (residential) rate, you're still making out. That's why I don't have a problem with what and the way I charge. I'd also charge more if I feel you're going to be a PITA. That could be the reason your neighbor got his work done for X-$20/Hr. All things being the same, if you and your neighbor had the exact same work done in similar houses the price would be the same. Unless your neighbor BS'd me with some hard luck story.
Would you be equally upset if you hired a different electrician and got charged X+$20/hr more than your neighbor? Unless you know what a business's overhead is, you can't really make a accurate comparison. Some of them figure the job will cost X (materials, labor (workman's comp., ins., etc), taxes), then X+ for profit, then, "Let's go fishing." That's not the way I work.

I charge $100 a hour . F-450 trident motor truck 100 aday fuel habit if have to be mobile, Gas welder at least 20 bucks fuel if running it alot,wear tear on vehicle welding rods grinding disk ect . Material is extra . Very rarley does any 1 complain here . But then again you are paying for skilled labor and knowledge .

Back