help with stuck fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

premington

Reaction score
Hi Folks... We seem to have a stuck fermentation here. I'm hoping someone can give us some advice.

So we're brewing a gruit, which is basically a Scotch ale grain bill with various herbs added, no hops. I developed this recipe and made it at my home a while ago, and it came out great! Now my buddy, who is new to brewing, wants to give it a go as his first brew.

We used WLP005 English ale yeast. Various problems occurred with this brew simply because my friend is new to brewing and made a few mistakes. He created a starter, but didn't realize you need a good size starter. He thought a few ounces of water with some DME was enough. The starter sat in a ~55 F environment and of course never did anything. Come brew day, this is all we had, so I said we should pitch it. Not aware of what starter he made before I arrived, we had no other choice. We had no other yeast, and the brew store was closed.

After the mash and boil, we took it outside to cool. I had to leave, so he did this. Turns out, he was never able to cool it enough. He stirred in his cold and snowy back yard for close to an hour. It remained way too warm (I think over 100 F), so he left it there overnight. The next morning it was cooled into the 70s. He aerated with pure oxygen, pitched the yeast, and put it to bed to ferment.

Next mistake: He put it in his brewing cellar, which is about 55 F. This was my mistake... I forgot to check and tell him the optimum brewing temperature. The optimum temp for WLP005 is 65 to 70 F. The starting gravity was 1.050. It took off and went fine, but once the temp dropped to the ambient brewing room temp, the yeast went dormant--Stuck!

So I came over and checked it. Gravity was 1.036 (corrected refractometer reading). He removed the yeast he had previously (fermenter has yeast settle in a Ball jar he removed and discarded). So I had him get two packs of WLP005 and create a proper yeast starter. He said the starter was at 1.040 and active. He pitched it at the same temp as the beer and stored it in a room that was heated in the upper 60s.

The yeast took off, then stopped. Gravity is still about the same. WTF?!

I'm trying to think what could be the problem. Not knowing anything about his water, I had him start with Poland Springs. We looked at the water profile in BeerSmith and added gypsum and calcium chloride in an amount that gave decent values in Bru'n Water. I think magnesium was a little anemic, but the yeast nutrient provides that... no?

His beer is just sitting right now, and I'm not really sure what to do. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this beer to ferment out?

Last edited:
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe the mash was too hot, so there are lots of unfermentables. I've read that there's an alpha amylase product that can help with this, but I don't know anything about it.

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe the mash was too hot, so there are lots of unfermentables. I've read that there's an alpha amylase product that can help with this, but I don't know anything about it.

Wow... It's amazing to read this. I *just* left a coworker's office, who is also a brewer, and as I was talking to him about this, I had a thought pop in my head. What if the mash was done too hot and we created a sh*t load of unfermentable sugar? I don't recall the specifics of the mash, but don't remember being freaked out by any numbers. I immediately wrote my friend about this and am hoping he took some brewing notes.

Then I looked in and read your post. Thank you for the reply.

Does anyone know if there's anything we can do/add to correct for this, if in fact this is the problem?

I doubt it was the fermentation temperature, but maybe? Have you tried rousting the yeast by stirring or the like to get the yeast into suspension? Are you sure the yeast was not old? When he made the starter, did he pitch it after it hit high krausen? What is the temperature of the beer vice the room it is in? What was your recipe? Need more info in order to be of assistance. Cheers!

amylase enzyme. it'll break down some of the unfermentables. worth a try.

the other option? brew it again, mash very low this time, and blend the two batches.

in the future, if your buddy had to wait to chill overnight, he could/should have made a bigger starter in the meantime. could have taken a bit of wort and added it to starter. just a thought.

I doubt it was the fermentation temperature, but maybe? Have you tried rousting the yeast by stirring or the like to get the yeast into suspension? Are you sure the yeast was not old? When he made the starter, did he pitch it after it hit high krausen? What is the temperature of the beer vice the room it is in? What was your recipe? Need more info in order to be of assistance. Cheers!

I just had another thought. The fermenter he has contains a conical bottom with a Ball jar. As he ferments, he's leaving the latch open on the bottom, so the yeast fall into the Ball jar. Ales are top fermenters, but the yeast have settled. Should he be fermenting with the latch closed so the yeast DON'T fall into the Ball jar, then open it to drop the trub later, when he's ready to remove the yeast?

This is the first time he's using this fermenter, so perhaps he's using it wrong.

To answer your other questions, he hasn't tried rousing the yeast. He can remove the jar, close the latch, and repitch and stir the contents of the jar. I'll suggest he try it.

The beer is 68 F, the same temp as the room.

Don't know any details about his latest starter. I don't think he paid attention to the yeast, except to ensure the starter was active. He doesn't have a stir plate, so he's just agitating it a few times a day.

Don't know the age of the yeast. I wasn't there when he bought it. Good question though. The last batch he purchased, the yeast were about 8 weeks old. He bought it from the same place, so if it's the same yeast batch, it would be about 11 weeks old. But it may not be that old.

Here's the recipe:

4 lbs. Munich malt
4 lbs. Maris Otter
3 lbs. oats (flaked)
1 lb. Amber malt
1 lb. Honey (added at high krausen)
1 lb. Rice hulls (really, one big handful)
1 lb. Wheat (flaked)
8 ounces Roasted barley

Herbs:
-------
- Yarrow (2 oz.)
- Marsh rosemary (2 oz.)
- Juniper berries (2 oz.)
- Wormwood (3 g)

Not sure if you need any other details. If you do, let me know.

Thanks for all the help, folks. We really, really appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
amylase enzyme. it'll break down some of the unfermentables. worth a try.

the other option? brew it again, mash very low this time, and blend the two batches.

in the future, if your buddy had to wait to chill overnight, he could/should have made a bigger starter in the meantime. could have taken a bit of wort and added it to starter. just a thought.

Good to know! I'll have him close the bottom valve, repitch the yeast, and stir. If that doesn't work, then we'll look at how to add amylase enzyme. Not sure how much to use, but will figure it out, if no one has any suggested use amounts.

Thanks again! :)

You have lots of yeast, and if at 68 F, the temp is fine. Being in the ball jar should not be a problem, it is still contacting the beer, so if there are fermentables, it should be going. Unless is got real cold since the last pitch, there should be sufficient yeast still in suspension. It will not hurt to close the valve and toss the yeast from the ball back in.

Just to be sure, what do you mean by 'Corrected refractometer reading'? You input the OG and refractometer into a calculator and the output was 1.036? So the refractometer reading was ~10.5. Might want to take an hydrometer reading just to make sure.

Are you sure you have the OG right. I don't think you said what the initial volume was.

4 lbs. Munich malt
4 lbs. Maris Otter
3 lbs. oats (flaked)
1 lb. Amber malt
1 lb. Honey (added at high krausen)
1 lb. Rice hulls (really, one big handful)
1 lb. Wheat (flaked)
8 ounces Roasted barley

14.5 lbs of grain, at 70% efficiency would get you 1.074 OG for a 5 gallon batch, or 1.050 for a 7.5 gallon batch.

An hydrometer reading might be worth a try to see what you really have.

Unfortunately, it's not my beer, so I don't have it beside me to check all the details. But the corrected gravity is calculated from a few different calculators. Yes... The OG and refractometer reading were used, as per the calculator instructions.

I suggested he use amylase enzyme. He sprinkled in a few teaspoons and recirculated the yeast. A few days later, he now has very slow fermentation with a krausen forming. It's slow though.

Not really sure what the problem is with this particular beer, but if he gets something drinkable out of it, that would be fantastic. The amount he's been doinking with it, I'm dubious about how well it'll turn out. Maybe he'll get lucky!

WLP005 attenuates between 67-74%. If what you're doing now doesn't work add a higher attenuating yeast (starter).

WLP005 should have already imparted it's flavor to the beer. Adding another yeast should not change it.

WLP001 = 73-80%.
WLP099 = +80%

Maybe even a gram or two of distiller's yeast or a champagne yeast should ferment it out.
IMO, both of these would probably ferment it out to drying resulting in a really low (lower than desired for the style) FG.

after you add the amylase enzyme the remaining fermentation will be slower than normal in my experience but it should drop some points just my 2 cents

after you add the amylase enzyme the remaining fermentation will be slower than normal in my experience but it should drop some points just my 2 cents

This appears to be correct. As an update, I suggested my friend use amylase enzyme. This *did* cause further fermentation a few days after adding, but the fermentation is not vigorous; it was low and slow. Since it's not my beer, I don't know specifics like current gravity and such. Last I knew, he tossed more amylase enzyme in and was waiting to see if anything further ferments out. Putting more in was probably not necessary.

We brewed this on 11/21, so I think he's itching to get past the fermentation stage and just bottle the stuff. With all the oxygen exposure, I can't imagine it'll not have off flavors, but he says it tastes fine to him and his wife. But it was heavily spiced with gruit spices (yarrow, sweet gale, wormwood, etc.). These impart very strong flavors that are probably masking off flavors. I'm surprised it hasn't soured, which is common for gruits. He's monkeyed around with it quite a bit.

I'm curious to see what it tastes like after it's bottled and has had time to carbonate. The main thing is we get it to ferment out, which you folks I think have help him achieve that. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back