First Time Homebrewer Ready to Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbalu

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
We recently started our homebrew adventure, whipping up a batch of apfelwein about a month ago. It is already pretty clear and should be ready to bottle sometime this weekend.

As we have never bottled before, we are completely green in the matter. We want to carb about half in beer bottles and then bottle and rack the rest in wine bottles.

To carb, I know that you need priming sugar in the form of dextrose. Do i just pitch this into the carboy and then put the must into the bottles and cap? Or do i put the sugar into the bottles? I know we need a capper, bottles, and caps, but our carboy does not have a spigot so should we use a siphon hose?

For wine bottling, I know we should probably get a bottling rod and siphon hose, corker and corks, but should we add the ingredient that gets the wine off the yeast or should we allow it to continue to ferment in the wine bottles?

Once again, we are completely new and if you could bear with us and help us through our first time it would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks in advance, Bubba

Hello everyone,
We recently started our homebrew adventure, whipping up a batch of apfelwein about a month ago. It is already pretty clear and should be ready to bottle sometime this weekend.

As we have never bottled before, we are completely green in the matter. We want to carb about half in beer bottles and then bottle and rack the rest in wine bottles.

To carb, I know that you need priming sugar in the form of dextrose. Do i just pitch this into the carboy and then put the must into the bottles and cap? Or do i put the sugar into the bottles? I know we need a capper, bottles, and caps, but our carboy does not have a spigot so should we use a siphon hose?

For wine bottling, I know we should probably get a bottling rod and siphon hose, corker and corks, but should we add the ingredient that gets the wine off the yeast or should we allow it to continue to ferment in the wine bottles?

Once again, we are completely new and if you could bear with us and help us through our first time it would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks in advance, Bubba

first off, i give my apfelwein 2 months to ferment out, but i like it dry. carbing for apfelwein: table sugar is best. it causes cidery tastes> well, duh... boil it in tap water for 10 minutes, and let it cool to 80 or less. if you use an auto-siphon to move it from the fermenter to another container, it'll swirl-mix itself up. for bottling, bottle it in beer bottles). potassium sorbate is used to stop fermentation, and needs to be used to stop it before the wine gets too sour. you'll use that before bottling

Here's what I do, I leave my Apfelwein in the primary for at least 3 months, usually it's in there around 6, then I bottle. I use 3/4C of table sugar for a 5 gallon batch, that's boiled and cooled in a cup or so of water and siphon to a bottling bucket or keg. The Apfelwein tastes much better carbed vs still, so I do it all carbed. I let the Apfelwein sit for another month or two before I even think of trying it, at about 12 months it really starts to be a phenomenal drink!

Back