What do you keep refrigerated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you pick up all the ingrid. for a recipe and don't use them right then or have spare left over what all do you refrigerate?

Spares?? Extras??? What are these?

Nah, just joshing...I buy bulk DME (55# boxes). Yeast comes in vials. Hops come by the pounds. I re-weigh/repackage them in vacuummed sealed bags...then frozen.

All herbs and spices get their own glass jars and placed in the fridge.

I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I do keep my spare hops in ziplock bags in the fridge. I squeeze as much air az I can out before sealing. I'm AG now so I don't usually keep any grain around, except for this last brew which resulted in 13.2 extra pounds of grain due to the LHBS weighing in kg instead of lbs. The only fermentable I usually have on hand is a 3# bag of light DME for making starters. That also stays sealed in a zip bag.

I just keep hops and yeast in my fridge. Ive heard of people putting irish moss in there too but i dont. (I also use whirfloc tabs now)

Yeast lives in the kitchen fridge, everything else goes in the freezer compartment of the kegger. WAY too many critters for me to leave anything out in the old garage. Some packrat "stole" an entire box of rat poison last year!

I have a vacuum packer but I'm to lazy. Grains put into ziplocks and the hops are stuck into the deep-freezer.

Yeast goes in the fridge
Hops go in the freezer
Grains get wrapped in plastic bags, and stored in rubbermaind containers in the basement.
Except for hops (which I replace every year), nothing lasts long enough to go stale when stored like this.

-a.

usually when I pick up my stuff I'm not brewing for a day or 2 and I just shove it all in basement beer fridge. Longest it's ever sat was a week and I'm not too worried about any kind of damage in that time period

Yeast goes in the fridge.
Irish moss and yeast nutrient go next to the yeast in the fridge.
Hops get vacuum sealed, then put in the fridge.
Grains get vacuum sealed and put in a dark closet.
DME gets heat sealed (no vacuum...it cakes) and thrown in the closet with the grains.

Grain eventually goes into the fridge after its transformation into to wort, then beer.
Beer eventually gets dispensed into a cool porcelain bowl with an automatic swirling drain after it's poured into a pint glass and gradually warmed through consumption.

Not that I know why but just because, I put the extract kits into the fridge as I receive them. Grain goes into a ziploc bag. I order liquid yeast with ice pack and insulating envelope so that goes into the cheese drawer as is where the temperature is more stable.

Latest posts

Back