Bottle Sanitizing/Drying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
I am going to be bottling relatively soon and am looking for ideas for sanitizing, mostly drying. I was hoping to stick with either bleach or iodiphor (sp) since I already have them on hand. What I don't have is a dish washer or bottling tree. Any MacGyver style solutions out there or am I stuck buying something?

i wouldn't use bleach- because then you'd have to rinse, rinse, rinse like crazy. But, Iodophor works great! Just make up a small batch (maybe 2.5 gallons or so), clean your sink or a primary bucket, and dunk the clean bottles in it. Swirl to coat, dump out, and set them aside. Then fill. No need to dry- Iodophor is no rinse, and a great sanitizer. If you really want to, you could sanitize the top rack of your dishwasher (I have sanitizer mixed up in a spray bottle) and drain them on there, but that's probably overkill!

i wouldn't use bleach- because then you'd have to rinse, rinse, rinse like crazy. But, Iodophor works great! Just make up a small batch (maybe 2.5 gallons or so), clean your sink or a primary bucket, and dunk the clean bottles in it. Swirl to coat, dump out, and set them aside. Then fill. No need to dry- Iodophor is no rinse, and a great sanitizer. If you really want to, you could sanitize the top rack of your dishwasher (I have sanitizer mixed up in a spray bottle) and drain them on there, but that's probably overkill!

So I can get away with soaking say 12 bottles.. shake them out, then fill? Using a bucket of iodophor.

Repeat this process 4 times. Cause that would be super.

Yoop's right, if you allow your sanitizer to dry you reduce it's efficacy. when it's wet anything that touches it will die...if it's dry, andything that touches it will desanitize it. Stay away from bleach and choose one of the no-rinse ones such as starsan or iodophor..

If you want more info about them, I put a lot of info, tips, and podcast links here..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

And if you want some tips for bottling, check out my thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

So I can get away with soaking say 12 bottles.. shake them out, then fill? Using a bucket of iodophor.

Repeat this process 4 times. Cause that would be super.

Yep. That's pretty much it.

As Revvy mentioned, check out his thread and see how it looks. (He has pictures of the way he does it). You want to sanitize, of course, but don't worry too much about it. Sanitize the bottles, drain, and fill.

One of the best things you can get to sanitize bottles is the vinator...

vinator.jpg

vinator.jpg

Back