Pitched dry yeast at 74....oops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Made a cream ale yesterday. I pitched without checking the temp in my fermenter. After I pitched I checked at the wort was at 74.2.

This morning it was chugging along but I am wondering if I created off favors by pitching just a little too warm.

Yeast was Danstar Nottingham.

Thanks!

You'll be fine - what temperature is your fermenter at? I pitched at over 70F in my last batch, and the primary fermenter was steady at 68F (a little too high for what I intended). My krausen was gone on the third day. I read up (Joy of homebrewing) and found that the beer may turn out a little estery (fruity) if fermenting at a higher temp. Nothing wrong with that. Temp control is most important during the first full week of fermentation... so if you were a little high for a few hours it didn't harm your brew.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I pitched too cold (60) and now it's too warm. Been fermenting for two days at 74-75 degrees. Will be interesting to see how this beer turns out. I hope leaving it in primary for 3 weeks will fix any damage. It's the US-05 yeast. Let us know how yours turns out.

Most of my beers ferment steady at 68 degrees.

I'm hoping it cooled to that. Ill check when I get home tonight!

Most of my beers ferment steady at 68 degrees.

I'm hoping it cooled to that. Ill check when I get home tonight!

Mine did too but now we're approaching the warmer seasons. Time to start making those warm seasonal brews.

I'm doing a brew today with US-05. Your beer should be fine.

Likewise, I like fermenting on the cold side of recommended ranges to protect from off flavors in just about everything but saisons and belgians.

Latest posts

Back