How tall is your home bar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
About a year and a half ago, I bought some plans off of the web to build a home bar with. All put together, it is 44 inches tall. If I had known while building all the pieces (base, pedestal, and top), I might have shortened the thing up by a few inches.

I'm close to being six foot tall, and it seems a tad tall for me even with 30 inch barstools.

Get out your measuring tapes and see how tall yours is and report back. This will give you something to do besides watching bubbles in your primaries... ;) Hey, even post pictures if you want. It would be cool to see everyone's fun rooms.

Eventually I will move it out to the garage (along with my pool table that is in the living room). Have I mentioned that it's nice being a bachelor? lol But, hey, if I don't want to stay that way forever, I guess it's out to the garage with everything including all my homebrew equipment and barroom paraphernalia. Right now, most of my house looks like the inside of Delta house in Animal House...

Lucky bastid.

My bar paraphenalia and my coveted glassware is packed in tupperware boxes in the garage. It bums me out.

Our current house is not big enough and we rent it. Soon I'll have my bar. But not soon enough. :mad:

ORRELSE said:
Lucky bastid.

I appreciate you saying that. Seeing some of the birth announcements around here lately, has me wondering just how lucky I am. Sure, a home bar is nice... but the dang thing won't be that great of company in my golden years. You guys with families do have something special.

I guess the trick is working things out so we can have both.

Hope you get moved into a new house of your own soon! :)

I don't have one here, yet, but the one I had in Las Vegas was 44 inches and my stools are 30. I'm 5'10" and found these were ok. It's also a good leaning height.

Mine's about 40' high. Works out fine with normal barstools. Sitting on the stools, the bar is elbow-propping height. Tried it out this evening with some Coronas and several tequila shots. All systems go !

Lounge Lizard said:
I appreciate you saying that. Seeing some of the birth announcements around here lately, has me wondering just how lucky I am. Sure, a home bar is nice... but the dang thing won't be that great of company in my golden years. You guys with families do have something special.

I guess the trick is working things out so we can have both.

Hope you get moved into a new house of your own soon! :)

Don't sweat it dude. Most every married man wishes he had the freedom (believe me!) and most every single man wants that "family" someday.

I'm pretty lucky--my wife is very supportive of the brewing, and she actually won't mind when we do get our house and I have my bar. I guess it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble....or so she thinks... :D

Dudes... check it out....

SWMBO and I are currently renting a house, but are going to start looking for a house to buy after the holidays. My wife is already browsing around and talking to R.E. agents, and we have been given access to some big listings for houses.

Our requirements are pretty standard, but we WOULD like to find someplace that not only holds our family confortably, but also has the space for me to have an office at home (my company allows us to work out of our homes as much as we want), and preferable a basement or nice garage that I can use for brewing.

We found the mother of all houses this past weekend. The basement is finished, has a bar built into it.... and, the best part.... has it's own, fully-functioning kitchen in the basement!

The basement would be my own provate domain. Room for an office, already got the bar in there, and a kitchen that I could use SOLELY for the purpose of brewing beer!

sorry for going off in the weeds there, but I had to tell someone about this house, and I thought you guys would fully appreciate the value of a finished basement with a bar and full kitchen in it!

-walker

Thanks for all the additional input on bar and barstool heights!

If anyone plans on building a bar, I still wouldn't recommend going as tall as 44 inches. Unless it is in a huge room, it looks a little funny being so tall as well.

It may help some when I can find some thick cushions for the barstools. I've already installed levelers on the legs that made the 30 inch tall stools about an inch taller.

-----------

Walker! The house with the basement and furnishings sounds terrific! I wish houses could be built in North Texas with them. With all my rackratted junk and hobby mess all over the place now, that would be perfect. I hope you can swing the deal

I have a 6'x 6' L shaped wet bar. Two heights to it. 42" for the patrons and 35" for the bartender <me!>. We bought this house used and I was so-so impressed when we were walking through it until we headed into the 20'x30' room addition with this bar all setup. Sold. :) Enough room for a foosball (have) and pool table (don't have).

The height is good at 42" for leaning up on while standing or with the 30" stools but it does have the brass foot rest. With no foot rest it might be a bit tall. Could always think about adding something like that Lounge Lizard?

WetBar2.jpg

WetBar1.jpg

subwyking said:
you guys are lucky :(. i wish base housing came equiped with a bar.

Damn right. That's the least we could do to help support our troops!

If I had a bar replete with copper foot bar like desertBrew's I wouldn't care how tall it is! That is sweet...I just can't sit at a bar with out a foot bar.

We have a butcher's bar or whatever it's called in our house which is a fancy way of saying a nook to display a few bottles...not really a functional bar. While freezing my ass off in the garage last night I got it in my head that I'm building a shed in the backyard next spring with service where I will move the brewery/man's lounge. Just one obstacle (not considering the HOA).

As a fabricator and installer of custom countertops,

Bartops should be 42" from the floor to the top of the counter
Kitchen/prep counters 36" to the top
Desk/Vanities 30"

These measurements are at the optimized position for the appropriate stools or chairs, while still being comfortable for most people to stand/work at. The only reason I would deviate from these is if you are extraordinarily tall or short.

Back