What category does my beer fit best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopLife

Reaction score
So there is an upcoming competition in my local area; the 'KLCC Homebrew Competition.' I am interested in entering at least one of my beers, maybe two. The problem is that I am not sure they will do well because they do not fit perfectly into any one category.

For instance, my favorite beer is what I call a 'session IPA' The OG is 1.045, 79 IBU and 6 SRM using an american ale yeast. It is too hoppy and bitter to fit the BJCP guidlines for a pale ale. The OG is too low for it to be considered an IPA.

Also, is there any etiquette in entering these competitions? What it be strange to enter two beers in one category?

You would be best served by entering into the American IPA category. Being slightly lower in alcohol is far better than being way too low for IBU's. As far as having multiple entries for a particular category, you will have to check the competition rules. Many allow it, some don't.

The beer was entered into the IPA category and did not place. I got a 33 point score. The judges detected that it was a little weak in both strength and flavor.

On the up side. I entered a similar beer into the Pale ale category and won first place with only a 35.6 score!

Sweet!

Latest posts

Back