Wet Cardboard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
The beer that I bottled 3 weeks ago now I just tasted, it has a taste of wet cardboard.....why? I did the same exact thing that I have always done with my brew sessions, bottling, racking over and so forth. This is an off taste because of too much oxygen being put into the brew after it has been in primary correct?

Sounds like a case of oxidized beer. From the BJCP website. Oxidized Stale, papery, cardboard -- Check for oxygen being introduced into beer post-fermentation. Don't splash when racking/bottling. Check caps and/or keg seals for good fit. Purge bottles/kegs with CO2 prior to filling. Store beer cool. Drink beer when fresh.

Yes -- somewhere between when you pitched the yeast and active fermentation began and when you bottled, O2 got into your beer.

Did you use a glass fermenter, especially for the secondary? Any chance you stirred in your priming sugar too vigorously or splashed the beer a lot when bottling? These are common causes.

Hmmmm.....well maybe I stirred it too vigorously! That could be the only cause because I use only glass and I know I didn't shake or rattle the brew around before bottling.......This taste won't subside at all either will it?

Have you tried more than one bottle? There could be a slight chance that if the brew didn't get O2 in the bottling bucket, then maybe you just picked the bottle that splashed around too much. Probably not likely, but maybe a chance??

GABrewboy said:
YUCK!! Well then this beer might be going to the trash.......

You can try drinking it ater you already have a buzz - sometimes that helps - sometimes not

Yep, tried 3 bottles now and they all just suck!!! Nasty......I would rather eat cardboard and drink straight tequila......:O

Run it through a randall. That is the only way I know of to mask a bad flavor in a beer.

I hate the oxidized taste. I can sense it from a mile away. Many people I drink with won't notice it at all and I notice it every time. It sucks!

Back