8 weeks in primary: Add yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
I've got a batch of belgian strong golden ale that has been in the fermentor for about 8 weeks now, that I want to bottle condition. I just thought I should ask you guys if you think it would help if I added a pack of dry yeast at bottling time, or would that not be necessary. How long have you guys left it in the fermentor and still been able to bottle condition?

Shouldn't need any additional yeast.

Longest I left beer without adding any yeast was 6 months and maybe one at 8 months but I can't be positive about that one because I might have kegged it.

Nothing wrong with adding some healthy yeast to insure your beer carbonates. It would be a shame to take the risk and lose the beer so to speak. My buddy uses T-58 when he bottles Belgian Strongs. It is alcohol tolerant up to 11.5%.

I didn't use enough a few months ago and have been agitating it every week. It is getting to where a little more fresh yeast would have had it months ago.

So I spend the $2 now and have had no problems.

Back