Keggle Tri Clover Dip Tube Solutions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazinbrush

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to have tri clover ferrules welded into some keggles for a brutus-like build. Does anybody out there have a good solution for dip tubes in the HLT, MT, and BK using tri clovers? I'm guessing I could have custom tri clover dip tubes made, but that's about all I could come up with (I would prefer not to deal with threads). Am I better off going with a NPT coupler instead of tri clovers?

I should also add that I'm thinking standard 90º in the center for the HLT and MT (with false bottom) and a bent dip tube (off to the side) for the BK.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
blazinbrush

SS compression fitting is what I use. With the correct size open end wrench it takes 20 seconds to remove the tube. Probably faster than trying to line up the tri clover/gasket/and locking fitting.

In my currently in process build I went with just a 90 degree elbow off a hex nipple, no more dip tube for me. Several others reported success with this method as it provides greater flow, costs less.

samc, are you adapting all of your fittings (the compression and the 90 degree elbow) from a NPT coupler welded into the side wall? If so, how often do you disassemble the MPT from the coupler for cleaning?

maltose, that's nearly perfect, although pricey. The universal siphon starts from NPT and adapts to tri clover, but I would prefer tri clover only. Sabco also makes a tri clover only siphon, but they run everything at 1/2" tri clover (I think), which I don't really want to do. Either way, I don't think Sabco would be much cheaper than having a custom dip tube made.

I have the sabco one and it is nice having the tri-clover fitting to remove everything. I like the small ones sabco uses as I can do them one handed. As you said though, it would be cheaper to have one made with a more common ferrule size.

samc, are you adapting all of your fittings (the compression and the 90 degree elbow) from a NPT coupler welded into the side wall? If so, how often do you disassemble the MPT from the coupler for cleaning?

On my keggle I have a full NPT coupling welded in. The Parker SS compression fitting with dip tube screws into that.

On my single vessel set up, it is a hex 1/2" nipple soldered into the keg wall and a 1/2" 90 screwed on. Very simple - HOWEVER I just did my first test this morning and when the temp got over 200F, the Chugger pump started to go into cavitation and then stopped. I need to trace if it is the elbow or a pump issue. On my keggle I can pump full boiling wort through the March pumps without issue.

This is an older thread, but I wanted to post pictures of the dip tubes I made using the sanitary orifice gaskets that I got from:
Austenitex

I used some Harris lead-free Stay-Brite solder and flux that works on stainless and soldered it with a propane torch.

photo-7.jpg

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

+1 for the Brewers Hardware pickup tube. Works great. Requires a 1.5TC ferrule but it's worth adding.

My ferrule is too long to thread the Brewer's Hardware dip tube. So I use this one:

http://conical-fermenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Dib-Tubes-Assembled.jpg

It's a 2 piece (dip tube unscrews) & comes with the clamp & gasket.

I bought this one too and quite frankly it's a piece of crap. The inside diameter is probably 1/4" at it's smallest; a single hop cone instantly plugs it and it also means you won't have enough flow on the suction side of your pump so you'll end up starving it. If you want to recirculate back into your kettle via whirlpool forget about it because this thing just restricts flow far too much.

It's a sad state of affairs that this is the "best" option on offer.
The Stout Kettle are almost homebrewing kettle perfection; these diptubes are a travesty and ruin them.

I bought a Glacier tank for $100 less than a Stout tank and if Stout would work on a proper diptube option that would allow you to pull liquid from the OUTSIDE of the kettle (their tanks are designed to whirlpool; you need the diptube on the outside wall of the kettle when whirlpooling) and that won't restrict flow I'd sell my Glacier and get a Stout tanks option. -Right now you can either get a good whirlpool OR get all of the wort out, but not both because this crap dip tube restricts flow on the suction side. EERRRGGG!

-I've looked and looked and looked for a solution and I'm just going to have to hire someone to weld something custom, I think... sad but true.

Adam

Back