Yeast Harvesting question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyCreek

Reaction score
I just kegged a very nice chocolate oatmeal stout. I picked up a Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast pack and used it.

Now I am washing and hoping to re-use my yeast and I basically have a tremendously thick mixture in my sterilized jars. (I washed with pre-boiled and cooled water and poured the yeast/trub into the jars hoping for settling so I can decant and wash some more.)

The yeast has been in my kegerator since last night and when I looked this morning only a very small top layer has presented itself for decanting, the rest looks like a heavy thick sludge.

I am assuming this is remnants of the rolled oats I put into the steep. (Partial mash, LME, DME, along with chocolate and rolled oats.) Of course I strained and sparged the grain before the boil, but clearly the remaining trub is very thick and dense.

Should I just wash it with a larger portion of water and hope I get a better separation of the layers?

Thank you yeast-gurus.

It sounds like you may need to do a large dilution ratio to wash the yeast - at least 2-3x what you're doing right now. If the liquid is that thick, it doesn't have enough room to settle into layers.

Thank you. I will go with both suggestions. First photos for posting and then further dilution which is what I kinda figured I should try. Appreciate in the input. I'm quite new to yeast re-use.

Latest posts

Back