Cooling beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastin

Reaction score
Hi all, bit of a newcomer..currently waiting for a 40 pint pressure barrel to clear, I only like cold beer but can't fit keg in fridge! Can I decant it into bottles and then fridge or will the froth/head go? Any tips?

Well, if i remember right, it's easier to keep gasses in solution with cold beer, unless it freezes which changes everything.

You can decant it into bottles by using a picnic tap with a bottling wand jammed into it and then cap and chill the bottles, but something about this being your first post gives me the impression that you may not have this equipment or know where to get it.

Do you have a large tub that you can fill with ice? That will chill the beer nicely.

If you bottle your beer from a keg WITHOUT having counterpressure equipment, you will lost 40-60% of the CO2 levels. You need a counterpressure filler that will equalize the pressure in the bottle to match the keg so the CO2 also stays at equalibrium and doesn't take the path of least resistance OUT of the beer!

If you bottle your beer from a keg WITHOUT having counterpressure equipment, you will lost 40-60% of the CO2 levels

That's outright misleading info. I bottle all my beers without counter pressure filler and send them to competitions. Bottling straight from picnic tap and this technique has not failed me yet. If you do it properly you not losing much

That's outright misleading info. I bottle all my beers without counter pressure filler and send them to competitions. Bottling straight from picnic tap and this technique has not failed me yet. If you do it properly you not losing much

I also bottle with rubber-stopper-racking-cane do-dad and have had good carb scores on my sheets.

Thanks guys, not clear about the CO2 bit, thought that only applied to lager? Might go for large tub of ice option!

I think science behind no-use-counter-pressure-filler is bottling at low temperatures, since CO2 is likely to escape from solution at higher temps.

TopherM said:
If you bottle your beer from a keg WITHOUT having counterpressure equipment, you will lost 40-60% of the CO2 levels.

This is the second time you've posted this info and its flat out wrong. Stop. Plenty of folks turn the pressure down on their tank and just tube it into a beer. Its not recommended, but it works.

Back