Where oh where did my gravity go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluteguy53

Reaction score
Hey All

New to all this (only on my third batch) and I have a quick question to ask that I hope will alleviate my fears. After 9 days in the primary, I transferred a Honey Ale from my primary to my secondary and I went to check my Specific Gravity...and got a whopping 1.008 (OG was 1.042). Should I be concerned? took a sip and it wasn't bad (for a flat beer), but my other 2 batches didn't get near the 1.010 til after the secondary.

Cheers

Without knowing the ingredients, I'd say RDWHAHB. Many beers ferment out completely in <9 days. You're at 81% attenuation, which is on the high side, but believable and no cause for concern.

That there is cause for celebration, not concern. I very rarely get anything to ferment below 1.010 (of course, that might have something to do with the fact that maybe 1 out of every 10 of my batches is below 1.050 og, but I digress).

Your SG should be pretty stable when you rack to secondary, though. Have a homebrew and celebrate what'll be a great beer.

Actually, you shouldn't rack (transfer) until your gravity drops 75%.

With an OG of 42 your FG should be about 10. Since yours is at 08 then it's ready to rack for clearing and aging some before bottling.

You made beer!!:D

If you added honey to the brew that is probabbly why it fermented out so low, Honey fineshes very dry. Congrats on great batch of beer.

Cheers

Back