First Gluten Free brew, some oddness.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic

Reaction score
I brewed my first gluten free batch.

3 Gallon Boil
7 lbs, sorgum extract
1 lb honey
1/2 cup molasses
1 oz centennial 60 min
.5 oz centennial 15 min
.5 oz centennial 0 minutes
plus irish moss for 15 minutes
safale US-05 ale yeast

30 day's in primary then bottled with 3/4 cup corn sugar.

So it was a bit slow to start but 24 hours later it was bubbling away, and continued to ferment for 10 day's.

When I transferred to my bottling bucket I noticed that the trub was a bit looser than my standard batches, and there was some extra floaties hanging around the top of the fermenter. I tasted a sample before adding the priming solution and I didn't taste anything off.

Any thoughts?, do GF brews just have different sediment than standard brews?

Thank you in advance.

I've never brewed a glutenous beer BUT I've seen loose sediment and tightly packed. I think it really depends on the yeast and the temperature and how long it has been in primary.

Every time I transfer from secondary I have a very loose sediment.

When I transferred to my bottling bucket I noticed that the trub was a bit looser than my standard batches, and there was some extra floaties hanging around the top of the fermenter. I tasted a sample before adding the priming solution and I didn't taste anything off.

Any thoughts?, do GF brews just have different sediment than standard brews?

I've noticed similar issues with GF beer. Nothing to be too worried about. It tends to settle out after longer periods of time.

I've never brewed a glutenous beer BUT I've seen loose sediment and tightly packed. I think it really depends on the yeast and the temperature and how long it has been in primary.

Every time I transfer from secondary I have a very loose sediment.

Glutenous beers are just more foamy. Other than that, everything looks the same. You are right about your statement.

Latest posts

Back