Fermentation Chamber w/ SMALL fridge???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
Has anyone done a fermentation chamber with the 2.7 or 1.7 cubic foot fridges that are available? I am wonder if one could be used to keep my 2 carboys where they need to be.

I think a 1.7 cf is too small for a 5 or 6 gal fermenter with an airlock on top. My fermenter stands approx 22 inches high. I am thinking about using a larger wine cooler for this purpose because I don't have room for another full size refrig in the house.

I meant when built into a larger insulated box, much like people are doing to their larger ones to hold 4 and 5 carboys.

may work for building a son of fermentation chamber. you can find a couple build threads.

I meant when built into a larger insulated box, much like people are doing to their larger ones to hold 4 and 5 carboys.

I think that with this method there is a big chance of "design creep" where people start their build only to realize that with what they spent in lumber, fasteners, insulation, etc., they could have purchased a used chest freezer.

Just throwing it out there....

Possibly...but then you have to spend 60-80 on a temp controller, price of decent lumber for a collar...

A chest freezer is jut too much for me right now, and there just aren't any on craigslist. If nothing else, it will be fun to build...and work until I can afford exactly what I want, rather than need.

I built one out of insulating board that I bought at Lowes and used a small 1.7 cu Fridge (pretty sure that is the size... It's a tiny fridge). I use a digital temp controller with it. It's a pretty big box, it can hold 3 carboys and gets them down to about 50F. It's a real ghetto rig. One panel is held on with bungie cords so that I can remove it to get things in and out. It has worked well for me so far. Ugly to look at, but it keeps my fermenting beer happy.

So you are able to use the 1.7 mini fridge? I'm thinking I will probably build this and leave the option for the fridge, or I may just build a second one. I am just ready to get things where they need to be temp wise and this is fairly cheap.

I think that with this method there is a big chance of "design creep" where people start their build only to realize that with what they spent in lumber, fasteners, insulation, etc., they could have purchased a used chest freezer.

Just throwing it out there....

I've built three of them and have never come close to the cost of a used chest freezer. Most of the lumber can be scrap material that is dirt cheap at the improvement stores. Fasteners are also dirt cheap at hobby stores. The biggest expense is the insulation - if you don't find it for free somewhere. And the labor. But I enjoy building stuff to make better beer, so it is an investment of time for me.

I can't find the insulation locally, so i'm back to square 1.

You don't have one of those big box hardware stores near you? They generally all carry it, and if they don't they can generally get some in stock for you.

Of course if you have nothing like that locally you'd either need a road trip to get some, or come up with a new plan.

So you are able to use the 1.7 mini fridge? I'm thinking I will probably build this and leave the option for the fridge, or I may just build a second one. I am just ready to get things where they need to be temp wise and this is fairly cheap.

Yes, the 1.7 keeps a couple carboys cold for any ale I need to do. I can't quite get it down low enough for doing lagers, but that's not a huge concern for me. Maybe someday down the line I'll upgrade so I can make some lagers.

I realize this is an old thread. But, a word of warning on them small refrigerators. I purchased a used Haier 1.7 ft2 for a couple of bucks yesterday. And I'm still a couple of hours into extracting all the needed parts. It's a PITA!!!! I think it'll still work temperature wise. So I might go through with it after all, just to see if it works.

The cooling parts are easy enough. But the heat exchanger is the problem. It's a copper coil, lodged between left, right sides, top and the insulation. See attached. After chiseling for a while, being careful to not damage the copper lines. I actually tried acetone & gasoline to see if it would disolve the insulation foam. Thinking of getting some hydrochloric and sulphuric acid as well. Get the idea now?

Ideas on solvents for the foam welcome! I'm also contemplating a propane torch.

EffinDormFridge.jpg

Just like GDuck above, I used a little 1.7 cuft "cube" dorm fridge, and built a small collapsable box large enough to hold 2 6.5G "Ale Pail"s.
I've only used it once. Room ambient temp is 70.
It took 45 min per degree to drop 75°F wort to 65°F for pitching.
Then I used AlphaOmega's STC1000+ enabled controller to hold 60° (haven't tested ramping function yet).

The fridge only ran/cycled about 20min every 2hr to hold 60 in ambient 70 room, slightly more during active fermentation.

The insulation board was about $35US, I was given the fridge. I've no delusions about being about to hold 35°F lagering in the dead of summer, but then, I'm happy making ales for now.

EDIT: By the way, I made the foam "box" collapsible due to space. It takes up about what a little 5 cu ft chest freezer would take but can be stored in two smaller, separate places. Not to mention I'm not allowed to get a chest freezer :)

I've built three of them and have never come close to the cost of a used chest freezer. Most of the lumber can be scrap material that is dirt cheap at the improvement stores. Fasteners are also dirt cheap at hobby stores. The biggest expense is the insulation - if you don't find it for free somewhere. And the labor. But I enjoy building stuff to make better beer, so it is an investment of time for me.

What about the cost of the mini-fridge?

A recent check on Maine Craigslist came up with a plethora of chest freezers in the $50-100, so I'm going to stick by my original statement that you can't build for what you can buy. Foam insulation is $35-40/sheet, mini-fridge is another $20-30 (used on CL, if you are lucky)...you have to be pretty frugal on the other stuff to come in under $100. Besides, I know you are considering your building labor to be "free" but gas/time to drive to all these different stores for the best deals are an expense also....

All that being said, from the other posts on here it sounds like these DIY chambers can't handle lager ferm. temps....that is another advantage for the plug and play chest freezer option that should be considered.

Finally, I understand the DIY ethos and building stuff for the fun of it, which I do alos...but when the final product is substandard (e.g. can't do lagers) and may end up costing more...you have to ask yourself if the effort is worth it.

What about the cost of the mini-fridge?

A recent check on Maine Craigslist came up with a plethora of chest freezers in the $50-100, so I'm going to stick by my original statement that you can't build for what you can buy. Foam insulation is $35-40/sheet, mini-fridge is another $20-30 (used on CL, if you are lucky)...you have to be pretty frugal on the other stuff to come in under $100. Besides, I know you are considering your building labor to be "free" but gas/time to drive to all these different stores for the best deals are an expense also....

All that being said, from the other posts on here it sounds like these DIY chambers can't handle lager ferm. temps....that is another advantage for the plug and play chest freezer option that should be considered.

Finally, I understand the DIY ethos and building stuff for the fun of it, which I do alos...but when the final product is substandard (e.g. can't do lagers) and may end up costing more...you have to ask yourself if the effort is worth it.

I agree with you completely. Individual circumstances will cause adjustments to the ideal result of course. I already had a cube-mini-fridge, and I was going to make a chamber, period; so I was already in for the controller, data logging, Lasko heater, CPU fan. What I did not have was space for permanent or semi-permanent chest freezer. I do have space to set up my temp FC with the acknowledgement to those with whom I live, and with whom I wish to remain on good terms, that FC can be moved/stored. Without the FC I wouldn't really be able to do ales in the heat of summer; making lagers hasn't really tempted me yet anyway. There's that whole "wait <long period of time> before drinking" that butts up against my impatience.

But for long the term brewery ideal, doing it right the first time, and owning nothing up front, I absolutely positively agree with the chest freezer. Maybe a front loading one because lifting carboys is something I would leave to all you young whippersnappers. ;) For me, with what I already had and was going to get anyway, and limited space, the $35 rigid foam was my individual solution sweet spot.

This was a lot of work. Had I known the layout of the coils it would have saved a bunch of time. Hopefully this will save someone else's. The coils resists blows from the chisel pretty well. Mostly it just slides off. Watch out when using the angle grinder though! I would probably use the grinder and cut along the corners at 45 degree angle and then tear the sides off.

Haier1.7-2.jpg

Haier1.7-3.jpg

Haier1.7-4.jpg

First of all, had I known how much work that was involved. I would probably have gone the small chest freezer route. I could have picked one up from CL for $75 or so. I work for a company that sells building materials so my material cost plywood & foam was $25 + $20 for the refrigerator.

The refrigerator is able to bring the chamber, 24"x14"14" down to 38 degrees. Which is almost Lager lagering temp. Take a few. It seems like the thermostat has a pretty narrow temp range though. It has 7 positions, 7 = 38 deg, running 3 now = 44 deg.

If anyone has a good suggestion on good cheap thermo that can hold 38 to 70 or so I'd much appreciate that.

What I like about my solution is that it pretty flexible. I put the box together with duct tape. I can take it apart, stack it on a shelf or easily bring it up in the attic. Once I've figured the cooling parts out. I will mount the coils on a piece of plywood, maybe on top of some sheet metal together with a 12V fan to help dissipate some heat.

Cheers & Happy Birthday!

Haier1.7-5.jpg

Haier1.7-6.jpg

Haier1.7-7.jpg

I built my fermentation chamber using a 1.8 cubic foot mini fridge I had been using as a bait fridge and some 2" rigid foam insulation I had laying around. I had to splice the pieces together for the sides. I used spray foam to assemble it, caulked the seams then wrapped them with foil tape.
I used closed cell foam tape to seal around the fridge and lid.
Added your standard stc-1000 controller and paint can heater.
I have no trouble getting the temp down low-I cold crash in it all the time.
I slapped it together about a year ago as a quick and easy ferm chamber, and it's been working great. I put a little weight on the top to help seal the lid.
I was using it as a temporary beer fridge when I took these pics.
It's ghetto but it works!

1404842551264.jpg

1404842571564.jpg

I built my fermentation chamber using a 1.8 cubic foot mini fridge I had been using as a bait fridge and some 2" rigid foam insulation I had laying around. I had to splice the pieces together for the sides. I used spray foam to assemble it, caulked the seams then wrapped them with foil tape.
I used closed cell foam tape to seal around the fridge and lid.
Added your standard stc-1000 controller and paint can heater.
I have no trouble getting the temp down low-I cold crash in it all the time.
I slapped it together about a year ago as a quick and easy ferm chamber, and it's been working great. I put a little weight on the top to help seal the lid.
I was using it as a temporary beer fridge when I took these pics.
It's ghetto but it works!

I have one of these small fridges kicking around an would like to build this quick and dirty chamber. Couple of questions. First is the bottom simply rigid foam? And second, how cold can it get? If it can hold an ale ferm temp that would be fine, if it can lager and cold crash, that would be great.

Thanks,
mark

I made a "collapsable" rigid foam board (2" thick) chamber around one of these. Just finished doing 3 wks at 60°F with STC1000+

I used it after brewing to cool from 72-ish to 65 to pitch, and it took about 45m/deg so it was not fast, but it worked.

Edit: And the bottom is just the rigid foam board, Ale Pail sits right on it, does not make much of a dent.

I have one of these small fridges kicking around an would like to build this quick and dirty chamber. Couple of questions. First is the bottom simply rigid foam? And second, how cold can it get? If it can hold an ale ferm temp that would be fine, if it can lager and cold crash, that would be great.

Thanks,
mark

Just the foam for the bottom. Thought about cutting some plastic or acrylic sheet for the bottom, but haven't bothered.
I can get down to the lower 30's pretty easily-fermenter temp, not ambient air

I picked up a partially completed ferm chamber project on CL that included all the materials to finish it for $150. I added casters for easy movement and a Ranco Dual stage I had already. It will hold 5 carboys and holds temp great!
Got an 8 cf chest freezer free from a moving neighbor for my lager ferm chamber. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404992659.347341.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404992705.585211.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I picked up a partially completed ferm chamber project on CL that included all the materials to finish it for $150. I added casters for easy movement and a Ranco Dual stage I had already. It will hold 5 carboys and holds temp great!
Got an 8 cf chest freezer free from a moving neighbor for my lager ferm chamber. View attachment 210240View attachment 210241

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are we to infer that the 5 carboy chamber will only do ale temps reliably? That is my assumption based on the fact you have the 8cf chest freezer for lager fermentation.

How big of a fridge is in the 5 carboy chamber and how low can you get it when it is loaded up?

What I'm trying to suss out are rough performance characteristics for these sort of builds.

Right now I got:

1.8-2cf fridges: don't go any larger that 2 carboys for ale temps. Lager ferm. temps may be difficult for even 1 carboy.

4-5cf fridge: can go as large as 5 carboys for ale temps. Probably not more than 1-2 for lager ferm temps.

Anyone please feel free to disagee/modify If I'm off base, particularly those with experience with lager fermentations in these sort of contraptions.

Brewers - I'm about to embark on a similar project. Please take a look at my concept drawing (JPEG attached) and provide feedback. Really looking for you to shoot as many holes in the design as possible. I already have the 7 gal fermenter, the 1.8 CF mini fridge (all fridge, no freezer compartment), and the rolling cart. FYI... The summer temps in my garage regularly get into the high 80's degF. Thanks! - Jeff

mobile_ferm_rig.jpg

STC 1000 off eBay for $18. That is the easiest way to control the fermentation temp in the fridge. Go crazy and get an arduino and flash the stc with alphaomega's stc1000+ to get temp profiles. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stc-1000-a-464348/

Thanks for the tip! Picked up an STC 1000 to arrive on Tue. Also, have a cheap thermo-mechanical thermostat for $6 to arrive on slow-boat from China. The refrigeration unit of the 1.7 is capable of doing sub-zero. My thermo is definitely shot, so i bypassed it and it got down to -1.

I think that will work fine. I put vinyl flooring on top of my foam floor in my huge (60 gallon in 4 60l spiedels) chamber powered with a 3-4 ish cf mini fridge.

If you can, I recommend picking up a usb powered (12 volt) case fan with or without speed control and sitting it in the freezer section of the mini fridge (freezer door removed) if it has one. I use one (always on unless racking) blowing through the cold plate freezer section and my whole chamber stays within 1* F. I put the actively fermenting spiedel next to the fan/fridge and move the more advanced ales down the line as it were.

Cheers.

BSD

Brewers - I'm about to embark on a similar project. Please take a look at my concept drawing (JPEG attached) and provide feedback. Really looking for you to shoot as many holes in the design as possible. I already have the 7 gal fermenter, the 1.8 CF mini fridge (all fridge, no freezer compartment), and the rolling cart. FYI... The summer temps in my garage regularly get into the high 80's degF. Thanks! - Jeff

So how did it turn out?? I just received a the same 7g Chronical for Christmas (its arrived already!) and have a 1.7 cf fridge. Didn't think about raising the fridge, not sure there is that much need for a small chamber?? I also have ordered the small pc fan and will install in the fridge, not sure if I will run all time or just tie in with the cooling. Any thoughts? Am thinking of a heating pad for warming as needed. My basement temps run 55 in winter to low to mid 70s in summer, so not a huge range. Will also use the 2" solid insulation as well as remove fridge door. Controlling temps all with a STC 1000. I can't wait to take to the next level with controlling temps, have made some great beers, but looking to always improve! :ban:

Back