My Well-Stocked Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody got any good recipes for me to try? Anybody see any gaping holes in my inventory?

Ok, so I'm occasionally a little light on mixers. That's because they don't keep forever and if I'm not going to use it, I'm not going to regularly stock it. Club Soda and fruit juices are generally a "before guests come over" thing. But we always keep olives, cherries, limes, and tonic around (those are me and SWMBO's must-have mixers/garnishes... we could both do without the olives, but they keep forever in the fridge and one in a blue moon, I like a dirty martini).

Anyway, our goal is to have a FULLY stocked bar with great liquors while avoiding as much of the over-hyped over-priced crap as possible. For example, if it says Bacardi, it's crap. Here's what we have so far... feel free to mention anything that's missing... Remember, some of these were gifts, or were purchased during trying times, so they're not all winners... Here's what we have right now...

Smirnoff Vodka (standard for mixing)
Tito's Vodka (a big disappointment... it used to be a great vodka)
Ketel One

Coruba Dark Rum
(Goslings is good too)
Meyer's Light Rum
Cruzan Single Barrel Reserve (for sipping)
Bacardi Solera (for burying in the backyard or serving to my enemies)
(Need to buy Rhum Barbancourt 15 year old Haitian Rum.. best rum evar!)
(Need to buy Ron Anejo Pompero, Venezuelan Rum... great rum for whiskey drinkers)

Jose Cuervo Plata (my standard for margaritas)
Sol Azul Reposado (becoming my standard sipping tequila)
Margaritaville Tequila d'Oro (another one to serve to my enemies)
(I need to buy an Anejo tequila, but either the prices need to come down or else I need to stumble upon one that I think is worth the price)

Jack Daniels
Tullamore Dew
(Need to buy a Canadian Whiskey)
Johnny Walker Black
Dimple Pinch Blended Scotch
(Need to buy my all time favorite Jefferson's Reserve)

North Shore Distiller's Gin No 6
(Need to buy more Tanqueray)

I have sweet vermouth, dry vermouth, and red vermouth
Bristol Sherry (mostly for cooking)
George Masson VSOP brandy (we just use it for cooking)

Non-fruity stuff:
Galliano
Frangelico
Godiva
Creme de Cacao
Creme de Menthe
Amaretto
Irish Cream
Sambuca
Campari
Kahlua
Cuarenta y Tres (43)
Jaegermeister
Absente
Cinnamon Schnapps (homemade)
Aftershock
Pepper vodka (homemade)
Buttershots
Rootbeer Schnapps
Rock and Rye
Sloe Gin
Benedictine
(need to buy Drambuie)
(Need to buy Irish Mist)

Fruity Mixers:
Chambord
Cointreau
Southern Comfort
Banana Liqueur
Papaya Liqueur
Coconut Rum
Seagram's Blackberry vodka (SWMBO says it's better than Blackhaus at half the price)
Peachtree
Cherry Schnapps
Melon Schnapps
Pomegranate Schnapps
Triple Sec
Blue Curacao

I'd say it's almost time to have a party... :rockin:

I'm on my way. Well, I wish I were. I like the occasional mixed drink but I would prefer a well stocked beer cellar.

Hendrick's Gin & a nice single malt...

Is Hendrick's more of a G&T gin? Or is it more of a martini gin? For example, when I use more overpowering gins, like Tanqueray, in a martini, I cut them half-and-half with vodka, but it goes great in a Gin & Tonic.

Is Hendrick's more of a G&T gin? Or is it more of a martini gin? For example, when I use more overpowering gins, like Tanqueray, in a martini, I cut them half-and-half with vodka, but it goes great in a Gin & Tonic.

Its better for G&T or even on ice. It makes the most refreshing G&T I have ever tasted...

No bourbons for sipping? I don't see any Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, etc.

No bourbons for sipping? I don't see any Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, etc.

Jefferson's Reserve. I just need another fat pay check to afford it ($50 for 750mL)

I also really just like Jack and Soda.

I am not a fan of Maker's Mark or Knob Creek. I'm also not a fan of AH Hirsch.

I've never tried Buffalo Trace though.

Oh, my bad. Buffalo Trace isn't as good as the others, but I think it's a decently priced bourbon for the quality ($25ish).

What I meant to say the 1st time was, that looks like a great bar and I've already booked my flight. :)

Can we be friends Sir? :D

I've REALLY been liking the bottle of Jim Beam Rye whiskey that I picked up on a whim....maybe consider it instead of the Canadian?

I want to get a bottle of this as my next rye....doubt I'll be able to find it though..

You mentioned the sweet, dry, and red vermouth. I recommend getting a bottle of the white vermouth, also called Bianco. Martini and Rossi sell it (among others), and it is VERY refreshing in the summer with a squeeze of lemon and a little water or club soda. It is light and slightly sweet and tangy. Not for everyone, but at roughly $10 for 750 mL, it certainly does for those that like light alcoholic beverages.

I almost picked up a bottle of the Jim Beam rye myself today. It was tempting. Next trip out, I'll snap one up.

Man that's a crapload of liquor!

Well, my mother used to insist that the number of bottles in a liquor cabinet correlated to how much of an alcoholic you are. However, some wiser folks in my family pointed out that it's not about the number of bottles in the liquor cabinet, but rather the number of bottles in the recycling bin.

In general, I go through less than 1 bottle a week. I just have a major thing for experimenting and trying different tastes/flavors. Unlike the BMC swilling masses that want the same thing over and over again, I'd be perfectly happy never having the same thing twice.

I do, however, have a sweet spot for certain recipes. Here's one of my female-pleasing favorites (assuming they like gin). It's called The Tiffany (aim for a light blue color).

2 parts strong gin (Tanqueray or NorthShore #6 works well)
2 parts Coconut Rum
Small splash of Blue Curacao
Top with Tonic

It tastes like a tropical gin and tonic and if you hit the color just right, it's a very attractive and subtle color, classy and refined. Nothing at all like the over-colored kool-aid looking drinks that people seem to pay too much for at the bars these days.

A friend of ours uses mint-infused simple syrup in several drinks. It's one of those things that you might not "need", but it comes in handy and lasts a long time in the fridge. Just a thought ....

A friend of ours uses mint-infused simple syrup in several drinks. It's one of those things that you might not "need", but it comes in handy and lasts a long time in the fridge. Just a thought ....

+1 or even just regular simple syrup. Its good to have on hand...

Can we be friends Sir? :D

I've REALLY been liking the bottle of Jim Beam Rye whiskey that I picked up on a whim....maybe consider it instead of the Canadian?

I want to get a bottle of this as my next rye....doubt I'll be able to find it though..

I picked up a fifth of Jim Beam rye for ten bucks!!!! And you're right! It's damned good for the price. It was a very nice addition.

My acquisitions this week were Grey Goose (to replace my now-empty bottle of Ketel One) which was on sale, JB Rye, and Jefferson Reserve.

Sorely missing single malt scotch. Macallan 12 yr is my personal favorite. Grab a "Glen" or two for good measure (there are far better whiskys, but your budget probably won't allow for them).

Sorely missing single malt scotch. Macallan 12 yr is my personal favorite. Grab a "Glen" or two for good measure (there are far better whiskys, but your budget probably won't allow for them).

Actually the prime target for my scotch collection is Highland Park. I've heard from a few folks now that the scotsmen they know who talk about great scotch go home and pour themselves Highland Park as their every day scotch. So I think it'd be a good place to start.

Single malts, I'll get around to, but I'm in no hurry...

I am now up to 63 bottles with another 4 or 5 whiskeys to go... I wanna grab Booker's, Maker's, and a couple of odd balls for good measure. I need a canadian as well.

Scotch will be my last frontier... because I know it will be the most expensive one... Right now I shy away from $50+ bottles because that'll buy two or three bottles of things I need to complete my collection. However, once I'm happy with my collection, then there will be nowhere to go but to scotch...

Bombay Sapphire is my favorite gin. Of course you need some Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth and Fee Brothers West Indian Orange Bitters to make a classic martini (not too dry).

You said you don't like Knob Creek bourbon, another favorite of mine, but how about Woodford Reserve? That is a very refined bourbon that is not so sweet as Knob Creek.

For margaritas (not frozen or on the rocks, but shaken like a daiquiri) I like Jose Cuervo 1800 Reposado, or Tezon Anejo, or Sausa Tres Generaciones Anejo, but there are many that work well. I like a tequila that has a flavor that will come through the lime, so no blanco for me. And of course, the best Triple Sec is Cointreau; as good in a margarita as it is with a good Pierre Ferrand cognac (a Sidecar).

The Scotch whisky from Islay are my favorites. Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin are the best of peaty smokiness, Ardbeg is not bad either. Bruichladdich and Bowmore are a bit lighter in character and go down very smoothly.

Edit: Note to self - must try Highland Park

I was going to say, What no scotch. Maybe a good Glenlivet 21 Archive, Oban is pretty good. Lagavulin is very very nice as well. The benefit of having a restaurant near by that is known for there scotch list.

For an inexpensive bourbon that has a very different taste, try Bulleit. You'll either be enchanted or disgusted; I think there is no middle ground with this whiskey. It is not at all like other bourbons.

For a good sipping Tequila, I have grown very fond of Correlejo Anejo, in the tall skinny red bottle. I don't recall what it costs offhand, but it is not one of the most expensive.

If anyone knows a good Rye whiskey, please tell me. The best I can say for the Jim Beam Rye is that it is inoffensive, but otherwise unremarkable. The Sazerac Rye I bought smelled of ergot. I would really like a good rye to make a proper Sazerac.

For margaritas (not frozen or on the rocks, but shaken like a daiquiri) I like Jose Cuervo 1800 Reposado, or Tezon Anejo, or Sausa Tres Generaciones Anejo, but there are many that work well. I like a tequila that has a flavor that will come through the lime, so no blanco for me. And of course, the best Triple Sec is Cointreau; as good in a margarita as it is with a good Pierre Ferrand cognac (a Sidecar).

I find that the oak tends to soften and mellow the flavor of blanco. I love the spiciness that you get most prevalently in them.

Anejo and reposado, I will sip on all day long. No lime, no salt. I'll just sip. But blanco with its fantastic peppery notes works well with fresh limes. I'll drink it straight too, of course, but it's really at home in a margarita.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

No problem! That's what's great about spirits; they are legion, to fit many tastes.

I am very fond of Chinaco Anejo. Watch for sales.

Here is a review of the Correlejo Anejo. In my opinion, one of the best tequila, not too expensive, with a character that is pleasantly unique. An artisanal tequila. You can easily get hooked on this stuff.

Back