Vomit!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben229

Reaction score
My oldish bottling bucket and my most recent length of transfer tubing both have a kind of vomity smell that seems to linger in them. This is after long soaks in oxyclean and a bleach vinegar solution. Have had some plasticy batches recently too. Think that is some sort of infection or something...I mean...no biggie to replace them...just wondering if anyone has ever had a vomity smell in plastic that they cant get rid of. I promise that I did not vomit in the bucket or siphon vomit with my hose. Promise.

I am very thourough when it comes to cleaning & sanitizing my equipment before and after brewing, racking, bottling, etc. Even with these precautions, every time I have grown weary of my racking equipment, I've replaced it. Over time, I notice a discoloration in the vinyl tubing that could be sraped off (thus scrating the plastic & potentially harboring nasties). So, every time I get worried, I just replace. At the rate & brew, I end up replacing tubing roughly every 6 months, and I just replaced my siphon/cane.

The only downside of replacing too often is incurring a small cost for these cheap supplies. I'd rather pay for dirt cheap tubing than losing an entire batch to infection.

Lacto smells like vomit for sure. I've never smelled it from tubing and stuff though, just old spent grains.

Yeah....and my issues are chlorophenols....just a thought that the two might be related. Probably time to replace regardless.

Lacto smells like vomit for sure. I've never smelled it from tubing and stuff though, just old spent grains.

I thought a bottle of Hansens Experimental Rasberry, which is a sour beer, smelled like vomit and rasberries... That beer had to have lacto in it, but the smell alone was off putting.

Yeah....and my issues are chlorophenols....just a thought that the two might be related. Probably time to replace regardless.

Bad sanitation can cause unwanted phenolics, so the two might be related after all. Let us know what happens when you replace your vomit lines.

Back