Color "Layers" in Carboy Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
Just started a new batch (my 3rd) last night using a custom kit from my local home brew store. Fermentation has really taken off this morning, but it looks kind of funny.

I am fermenting in a Better Bottle carboy (I like to watch the bubbles!) and it looks like my beer has formed layers, with a lighter brown at the bottom (about 6" tall) and a darker brown at the top. The line between the two layers is pretty definite.

When I transferred from the kettle to the carboy, I transferred EVERYTHING, rather than just siphoning off and trying to avoid sediment. Is that a bad idea? Could that be what's causing the discoloration in the lower part of the carboy?

Thanks for your replies!

Yes that is what is causing the color change.

It would have been better to leave some of that behind, but not bad. It will fall out again and you'll get to watch it again.

So, you think it's just the sediment being drawn up by the CO2 bubbles?

And I should try to leave all of that behind when I transfer to the secondary... right?

It's spent yeast cells falling out of solution.

Yes, try to leave it behind. You really aren't doing a 'second fermentation'. You rack into a 'secondary' to clean up and clarify the beer. I normally don't bother and go straight from Primary to Keg after 2-3 weeks again, leaving the sediment behind.

It's spent yeast cells falling out of solution.

Yes, try to leave it behind. You really aren't doing a 'second fermentation'. You rack into a 'secondary' to clean up and clarify the beer. I normally don't bother and go straight from Primary to Keg after 2-3 weeks again, leaving the sediment behind.

To add to BendBrewer's excellent advice...

Try throwing your primary into the fridge for 2 or 3 days to "cold-crash" it. Even more of the remaining yeast will become inactive and drop down to the bottom. Your brew will become clearer yet.

To add to BendBrewer's excellent advice...

Try throwing your primary into the fridge for 2 or 3 days to "cold-crash" it. Even more of the remaining yeast will become inactive and drop down to the bottom. Your brew will become clearer yet.

At what point would I want to do that? Right away or once fermentation slows down? At the end?

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

At what point would I want to do that? Right away or once fermentation slows down? At the end?

once primary fermentation is over if you are transferring to secondary or if not a couple days before before bottling. and if you are transferring to a secondary you could put the secondary fermentor in the fridge for a couple days as well before bottling to drop some more particles from suspension.

Once fermentation is done. I've been confirming this with a hydrometer reading that is consistent 2 days in a row.

Back