Put starter in fridge to slow down yeast activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a starter yesterday and after 7 hours (before I went to bed) on the stir plate the krausen was overflowing. I made the decision to put the starter in the fridge to slow down yeast activity. This morning when I woke up I put the starter back on the stir plate. My question is did I make a bad decision putting the flask in the fridge (should I make a new starter)? Or when it gets back up to room temp will it pick back up where it left off?

i dont know if itll pick back up as well as it was before but itll still be pitchable. You may have caused the yeast to go dormant and they may not rouse again until pitched into fresh new wort. Even at room temps they may not finish attenuating the old starter wort, but id just let them keep going and pitch it

you can use a few drops of fermcap to help control starter krausen

Thing is is Im doing a high gravity beer so I need to almost triple the 100bilion yeast cells I started with before pitching. Would I be better off taking it off the stir plate,*decanting the the wort and adding fresh wort and putting it back on the plate?

yeah if you are worried about the pitch, id decant it and keep growing it. Or if you have another flask, make some new wort and just pour them back and forth a few times to distribute the yeast cells somewhat evenly between the two. thats what I did for my last lager where I needed a big pitch

Okay yeah I just thought of that too. I've got a gallon growler was going to put the fresh wart in there decant and pitch it into the growler then put that on the stir plate for the next 24 or is there a benefit to mixing em up and using two? I definitely need to get some ferm-cap.

well if you can use both growlers you should have more yeast in the end from mixing because of 2 reasons: 1) your yeast may not be finished attenuating the starter since you fridged them and it hasnt been too long so. 2) there will still be a decent amount of suspended yeast particles in the stuff youd be decanting. so if you combine them and pour back and forth 2-3 times, youll keep all the yeast cells youve got for now

Back