Dry Hopping questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattne421

Reaction score
Hey all so I plan on dry hopping my IPA that i just ordered and have a few questions.

I'm using a two stage fermentation and I'm assuming that i let it ferment out for a few weeks in the primary before racking on top of my dry hops?

I get that the consensus is to dry hop for 7-10 days but do you bottle straight after dry hopping? what if i want to bulk age for a few more weeks?

Thanks all.

I don't usually dry hop immediately after going to secondary. I let it age then add hops 7-10 days before bottling. This way I don't need to do an additional transfer to get it away from the hops.

If you age after taking it off of the hops, by the time it is bottled and ready to drink you'll lose the benefits of dry-hopping.

I prefer to put the dry hops into the secondary vessel and the rack onto them. Don't do this if you plan to bulk age though. In that case add them 7-10 days(or however long you want it on the dry hops) before you intend to bottle/keg. As smiller said, most of the benefits of dryhopping would be lost during aging.

Back