Trying to get back in the game, few ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnsy1

Reaction score
Its been several years since I've attempted a brew. Unfortunately several of my batches were bad, from contamination or who knows what. Only one or 2 batches were palatable, and none were good :\

My equipment (plastic 5 gallon) has been sitting in the garage, it had some random dust and dirt on it...as well as some stain from when I was building a desk. The stain marks are really just at the top of the fermenting bucket, where the lid goes on. I believe I've gotten it all off. Should I worry about this or will it be alright?

Can anyone suggest a good basic ingredient kit to get me back in to the hobby. I'm not looking for anything complicated yet. I don't prefer beers like bud or miller. I tend to keep Dos Equis, Yeungling, and Sam Adams in the fridge. I guess I'm thinking maybe some sort of blonde ale would be nice...any suggestions?

I also have a basic question...I do have a wort chiller, I noticed after the wort gets to the correct temperature there is a lot of "stuff" settled at the bottom of the pot. Is all of that supposed to go in to the fermenter? or should I be trying to keep that out of the fermenter?

Thanks for any help!!

Buckets are cheap and it would be a good idea to get one in the 7 gallon range. Wood stains are nasty and even a small amount will mess up a lot of work.

As far as where to start, you might try AHB's Blonde Ale. Get the Safale yeast. It's a good dried yeast and you won't have to bother with making a yeast starter.

Back