The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are so sensitive. Um, newsflash: Mexicans wear sombreros...explain to me again how that's offensive?

Also, does "larfing" mean farting and laughing at the same time?

I'm offended by all of you.

And France has quietly gone about their business once again. Without some good goalkeeping and those pesky crossbars getting in the way, they easily could have had a few more.

That being said, Robben admitted to diving in the first half, but insisted the one that won them a penalty was a legitimate foul. FIFA needs to do a heck of a lot better at policing diving. Supposedly it's a yellow card offense, but how often do you see them give a card for it? The most you usually see is an admonishing stare from the ref as he signals for the player to get up.

If you dive in the box, even once, it should be a yellow. Outside the box you should get a warning and then a yellow. The only way they can eliminate it is if it has real consequences and those consequences are enforced...

So how would the game change if they essentially did away with the penalty area? Make most penalties inside the box an indirect kick from outside the box. Intentional hand balls and taking someone down who is unimpeded to the goal remain penalty shots. Would that stop guys from diving as much? Would it entice defenders to foul more in the box?

I have not really thought it completely through so don't chew on me like Suarez does his Italian food! Would like to hear your take on it. The diving is an embarrassment to the game.

uc

Oh yeah, I never posted the stuff from the SJ vs LA match at Stanford Stadium this past weekend. This trip was freaking amazing. Aside from the bumper-to-bumper traffic in Dixon on the way to the Bay, everything went as smoothly as possible.

- Great hotel at a great price 2 miles from the stadium.
- Took a nice stroll down to a Cuban restaurant, maybe one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. If you're ever in Palo Alto, you must go to La Bodeguita Del Medio.
- Nice a full and slightly tipsy, stepped out of La Bodeguita and the bus was right there like it was waiting for us.
- Bus driver was nice enough to drop us as whatever he thought was the best stop for Stanford.
- Walked towards the tailgate area, got heckled by a ton of people in blue and black. But lo and behold, we ran into a dude in an LA jersey. Turns out he works in the same industry to we chatted in our jargon while drinking from the six-pack he just gave us.
- Got to our seats easily (great seats), but sadly found out that Stanford is a dry campus. It's weird being to college stadiums that don't sell beer.
- Ran into this amazing lady named Linda Pickle that we stood next to at the USA vs Azerbaijan match in SF. She's an "unofficial" photograph for the Galaxy but her photos pop up everywhere. She dragged us down to the front row with her.
- Yelled and sang our asses off to the point of exhaustion and laryngitis. Our boys pulled out a 0-1 victory in hostile territory. Awesome turnout for the traveling fans.
- Afterwards, Linda Pickle introduced us to the Galaxy GM, Chris Klein. AWESOME!
- On our way back to the hotel we realized we didn't have enough for bus fare since we bought some waters for the capos (they were great.) But... BUT!! The dude we met beforehand who gave us beer actually saw us, honked his horn, and pulled over to pick us up and give us a ride. I love the soccer community!

CAN YOU HEAR THE EARTHQUAKES SING?!
Whooaaa, whoooaa
Noooooo, Nooooooo
WE DON'T HEAR A F**KING THING!
Whooaaa LA GALAXY!

uc

uc

uc

So how would the game change if they essentially did away with the penalty area? Make most penalties inside the box an indirect kick from outside the box. Intentional hand balls and taking someone down who is unimpeded to the goal remain penalty shots. Would that stop guys from diving as much? Would it entice defenders to foul more in the box?

I have not really thought it completely through so don't chew on me like Suarez does his Italian food! Would like to hear your take on it. The diving is an embarrassment to the game.

I'm not gonna knock your ideas, we all have them. However, there is a way to stop the flopping, and it is already in place. We just need referees to grow a pair and call on what they see.

Wow. Swiss were inches away from tying the game at the very end. Hard fought on both sides.

And that guy at the end was several inches away from any contact at all.

I hope they reverse that yellow card.

When I first saw it, I thought "oh good - finally a yellow for blatant flopping."

Nope. :mad:

Wow, pulling out the win at the very end. Dang, Argentina.

But whatever, YOU'RE NEXT!!

Oh yeah, I never posted the stuff from the SJ vs LA match at Stanford Stadium this past weekend. This trip was freaking amazing. Aside from the bumper-to-bumper traffic in Dixon on the way to the Bay, everything went as smoothly as possible.

- Great hotel at a great price 2 miles from the stadium.
- Took a nice stroll down to a Cuban restaurant, maybe one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. If you're ever in Palo Alto, you must go to La Bodeguita Del Medio.
- Nice a full and slightly tipsy, stepped out of La Bodeguita and the bus was right there like it was waiting for us.
- Bus driver was nice enough to drop us as whatever he thought was the best stop for Stanford.
- Walked towards the tailgate area, got heckled by a ton of people in blue and black. But lo and behold, we ran into a dude in an LA jersey. Turns out he works in the same industry to we chatted in our jargon while drinking from the six-pack he just gave us.
- Got to our seats easily (great seats), but sadly found out that Stanford is a dry campus. It's weird being to college stadiums that don't sell beer.
- Ran into this amazing lady named Linda Pickle that we stood next to at the USA vs Azerbaijan match in SF. She's an "unofficial" photograph for the Galaxy but her photos pop up everywhere. She dragged us down to the front row with her.
- Yelled and sang our asses off to the point of exhaustion and laryngitis. Our boys pulled out a 0-1 victory in hostile territory. Awesome turnout for the traveling fans.
- Afterwards, Linda Pickle introduced us to the Galaxy GM, Chris Klein. AWESOME!
- On our way back to the hotel we realized we didn't have enough for bus fare since we bought some waters for the capos (they were great.) But... BUT!! The dude we met beforehand who gave us beer actually saw us, honked his horn, and pulled over to pick us up and give us a ride. I love the soccer community!

Whooaaa, whoooaa
Noooooo, Nooooooo
WE DON'T HEAR A F**KING THING!
Whooaaa LA GALAXY!

Palo Alto is an awesome town

And that guy at the end was several inches away from any contact at all.:

Yup. At first glance, from distance, it looked like a foul. Then I saw the replay. That should have been a foul on the Swiss player instead.

Argentina had similar trouble breaking through against Iran. It seems like a well disciplined back line (with some midfield support) can hold against Argentina pretty well. As long as you don't give them too much space just outside the box, they seem to have trouble finding a way through. If we get that far, I hope we're as solid around the box. Of course, we'd have to do that while moving up to score as well.

But, first things first. We have Belgium to worry about.

I'm still shaking. I had a mini heart attack once every minute after the 80th minute or so. Then the second ET half was just one big heart attack. Amazing goal for Green and that set piece was incredible. I thought that was it for sure.

105 minutes of defending and playing rigid. 15 minutes of all out play. What the eff....

I can't believe Wondo didn't just seal the deal. He would put that in the net 99 times out of 100. That must have been #100.

Completely heart-broken....

Well, nicely played, boys. I only wish you had discovered you could pass the ball and control play after all, before you went down 0-2.

It's hard to believe I could make a Lambic in less time than it will take to see the USMNT in another World Cup. But I'm excited about the idea of a Green-Yedlin-Zelalem led team in 2018.

It's hard to believe I could make a Lambic in less time than it will take to see the USMNT in another World Cup. But I'm excited about the idea of a Green-Yedlin-Zelalem led team in 2018.

Can't forget John Brooks. US's defense is looking pretty strong with Yedlin, Fabian, Timmy, Brooks, Gonzilla, and Besler all being 30 or younger for next trip around.

A bit gutted but tbh I thought it was a big ask to get out of the group so I can't really complain.
I just keep thinking what might have been if wondo had buried that chance...

A bit gutted but tbh I thought it was a big ask to get out of the group so I can't really complain.
I just keep thinking what might have been if wondo had buried that chance...

Yeah.

BTW what's better than Klinsmann's decision making huh? All 3 of his subs were put into positions to succeed. Yedlin killed it on the right side. Green was great in his very short burst. Wondo was put into there to poach and got into a position to poach then missed.

Cannot help but feel how much better we would have been with Jozy. We just had too few in the box all too often.

Yeah.

BTW what's better than Klinsmann's decision making huh? All 3 of his subs were put into positions to succeed. Yedlin killed it on the right side. Green was great in his very short burst. Wondo was put into there to poach and got into a position to poach then missed.

Cannot help but feel how much better we would have been with Jozy. We just had too few in the box all too often.

His decision making during the tournament was pretty good, hard to fault him for much. However, the decision to not bring another holdup striker came back to bite him in a big way. While a player like Boyd is certainly not at jozy's level, having him would have avoided forcing Dempsey into a role that is not his most effective. I'm not saying it would have changed the outcome, and all in all props to jurgen for guiding them out of the group. Three of his seemingly riskiest choices, brooks, yedlin and green, all paid off this tourney. But just can't help but wonder what would have been if we'd had a suitable replacement for jozy. Ah well. To 2018 and a hell of a lot of meaningful soccer between now and then. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Well the question is who would have been better, moving Bradley up more and using Zusi, or having Boyd.

Boyd isn't quite ready yet. I guess the US's flaw was being so dependent on Jozy. Because there is no replacement for him. Boyd wouldn't have been able to do what Jozy did. He probably wouldn't even have been able to do what Clint did. Our biggest flaw was that we didn't have a way to get Bradley and Jones both forward without Beckerman. So we tended to get lots of guys back then no one to outlet to and build up to.

On a different note. Does anyone else think penalty rules are absurd? I don't et why goalies can't come off the line but a kicker can start and stop.

Gah!!!!! Had to work til 7 and just finished the game. Howard was spectacular. We had several close opportunities at the end but Belgium had many more during regulation.

Time to watch the messi magic....

Boyd isn't quite ready yet. I guess the US's flaw was being so dependent on Jozy. Because there is no replacement for him. Boyd wouldn't have been able to do what Jozy did. He probably wouldn't even have been able to do what Clint did.

Nope, he wouldn't have been able to do what Clint did. But, I think from a pure winning the ball and providing the relief valve, he would have done better. We'll never know for sure. Would have been nice to at least have the option to see how it worked for a game (likely the Ghana game as the like for like replacement so you don't have to try to make a complete change of offensive philosophy mid-game). And having him there allows Clint to be at his best because he'd be playing the role he's best at.

As for him being ready, there was really no way to claim that Julian Green was ready either. And yet there he was, and he contributed. :)

But, like I said, we'll never know, and for all I know, he could have been a disaster if he had been there. Which is what makes all of the "this managers decisions were proven right/wrong/whatever" following games a farce when you get down to it, because you simply never know what happens in that alternate universe where the decision is made the other way. Fun to yammer about though. :)

On a different note. Does anyone else think penalty rules are absurd? I don't et why goalies can't come off the line but a kicker can start and stop.

I can't get hung up on that too much because the goalies do come off their line. pretty much every time. :) Now, if you're suggesting they should be able to start charging the ball as soon as the whistle blows... that would be fascinating to watch. :mug:

One change I would make if i were in charge of the rules would be to make it such that penalties during the game (i.e. not in shootout) have to be taken by the person fouled. No more of this have your centerback get dragged down in the box and then your best scorer gets a rip at the penalty. :)

Okay, I think he makes some great points. But a couple things stick out to me as someone who has played or been involved in soccer for as long as I can remember (literally, I started playing at 4 which is around my earlier memories too):

- I understand how some people will cringe at the lingo. I realize that some newer or Euro fans will force themselves to say pitch, kit, etc. However, the footwear will forever and always be "boots." "Cleats" sounds awkward to me. Pitch and field, kit and uniform, match and game... those are all interchangeable in my book. It's basically whichever one pops into my head first or sounds better. And "Belgium have won" is 100% the correct grammar. They are a collaboration of people. If a dude named Belgium won a foosball game, it would be "Belgium has won."

- If you don't like the scarves, don't get one. F**k you. They're perfect for winter games and when you get several hundred or even thousands of people holding up scarves or swinging them around their heads it looks really good. The players can definitely see that. Plus they're just another form of showing pride. For the game against Portugal I wore my AO shirt, an American flag as a cape, my badass USA WC scarf over that, and an American flag bandanna. It's just another piece of flare. :D

- I'll take a "Internacional CD Sporting Chattanooga FCSC Atletico" over "The Chattanooga ChooChoos" any day for any amount of money. The American sporting naming system of
"The [city] [fierce plural noun]" is lazy, boring, and pretty cheesy. Hell, the WNBA/NWSL/Old-MLS system is just as bad: "[city] [singular noun or intangible phenomenon]" such as Fire, Fever, Sting, etc. Sadly, my heart belongs to a team that falls into the last category... but at least Galaxy makes sense; LA is full of stars! *rim shot* See? Cheesy. I hope the Chivas USA rebrand is along the lines of "Los Angeles FC" or go for something more creative like "CD Angelenos" or "Angelenos FC"

The kicker actually isn't allowed to stop by the rules of the game. However, players have been able to bend that rule using stutter steps, long slow strides between other steps, and the Fred "Twinkle Toes" Flintstone approach (Jesus, with the US soccer fan demographic as young as it is, most supporters wouldn't get that last one.) As long as there is forward progression it's alright.

HOWEVER, as someone who played keeper for quite some time, I can tell you the keepers bend the rules, too. If you really pay attention during PKs, almost every single keeper will be at least a meter in front of the line before the kick is taken. Some of the crafty ones can get up even farther.

My issue with the PKs is encroachment isn't called nearly enough.

Back