Cranberry in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brek81

Reaction score
I remember reading that its better to use tart apples in your cider if you can, and was wondering if adding a can of cranberry concentrate would help out at all. anyone tried this?

My vote is for absolutely NO cranberry in cider. I added one gallon of a cranberry/apple mix to a batch of "Graff" to try to spice things up, and it was undrinkable... WAYYY too tart, tasted like vinegar or a very sour cask ale. Bleh. It does not compliment the apples... the apples ferment out and are totally overpowered by the cranberry, which didn't appear to go anywhere at all. :)

I added some dried cranberries to the secondary and liked the results. Tart but good. I have some dried blueberries I'm going to try on my next cider (or maybe graff).

My vote is for absolutely NO cranberry in cider. I added one gallon of a cranberry/apple mix to a batch of "Graff" to try to spice things up, and it was undrinkable... WAYYY too tart, tasted like vinegar or a very sour cask ale. Bleh. It does not compliment the apples... the apples ferment out and are totally overpowered by the cranberry, which didn't appear to go anywhere at all. :)

did you add the cranberry pre or post ferment? (like most things I'm probably way over thinking this i should just rdwhahb)

The Sept/Oct issue of Zymurgy this year had a cider recipe that used cranberries.

Karol's Krapple: Put 2lbs of cranberries for a two-week secondary fermentation. Rack to tertiary for conditioning/clearing and bottle.

cranberry is a yeast inhibitor! i was looking this up to find a way to slow down my ferment of natural yeasts... cranberry will do it

Back