what did i catch lacto ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
last night i was playing with some wort i had left over from a Higher gravity beer the wort was 3.5 gallons of .o41 mostly pale malt any way i was lazy just wanted to rack it over and tired so i racked in straight into a 3galon carboy i had ( SMART RIGHT). cracked my carboy and wort was rushing out so i grabbed a bucket i had put the wort in there and cleaned up. i just left the wort in the bucket with the top on and today i picked up 2 1 gallon carboys to play with i opened up the bucket and the wort had a kinda oily like surface so i sanitized a spoon and tasted it the flavor was off for sure it was not a sour but a tank and left the really dry tast in my mouth. the wort sweetness is there still.

what do you think i caught ? i was guessing lacto this wort has actually been sitting around for longer then 1 day in a sanitized bucket with the top on the second bucket was not sanitized i was more worried about the mess.

Ever left your mash grains overnight before cleaning them up? Lacto big time. Mashing temps do not kill them. If you had boiled that wort before storing it it would have been OK overnight.

GT

it boiled and hoped, i broke the carboy and put the wort into a non sanitized bucket. maybe i shoudl just pop some dry yeast in and see what happens i was just trying to figure out if what i had was lacto or something bad.

Latest posts

Back