Over Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryh654

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA a couple months ago and was very excited and finally ready to try it and the first one I opened spewed everywhere, as did the following 3. What happened to make them so over carbonated? I used the normal amount of priming sugar, the only difference I had from any other beer I brewed was that this was the first one I dry hopped, does this affect the carbonation?

How's it taste? It could be infected!

Also could have missed your F.G. and just had the bottling process kick that yeast back into gear? Did you take god hydrometer readings?

I've had some that were really foamy on opening then go volcano as soon as they start to warm up, but pored immediately into a glass they were managable. Actually, they tasted great with all the carbonation. Or are you talking about the kind that shoots outta the bottle as soon as it's cracked? Did you chill the bottles for a full 24hours? It can take that long for the carbonation to dissolve into the beer. They may still gush a bit but be drinkable out of a glass. Plus if there is a foreign bug in there, chilling them will at least stop them from becoming bombs.

They aren't infected they tasted great. As far as my FG I think it was a bit off, which may be the problem. As soon as I crack the top open it turns into a volcano. I haven't tried chilling them for a long time yet but I suppose I will throw some in the fridge right now, will this keep them from foaming everywhere? It sucks because it wastes 1/2 - 3/4 of the beer before I can even pour it.

Did you thoroughly mix the priming sugar in the beer before bottling?

I'm willing to bet that it wasn't quite done fermenting when it was bottled. If it were infected, it shouldn't survive the 'taste test'. I recall once when I bottled wine (many years ago) too soon, and had the bottles go off -two of 'em actually broke, the remainder popped their corks -all in all, I had an awful lot of wine all over the place when I came home from work one morning.

Back