Bourbon throwing off FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zjmill2

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster here.

Had an issue come up when I took the FG of stout I recently brewed. It's one of the first All Grain recipes we've tried and the first we tried to add anything to the secondary. We added about 6 ounces of oak chips that had soaked in Maker's for about 4 hours. We left it in the secondary for about 10 days. We just bottled it tonight and when we took the FG it read about 1.040. The OG was about 1.060. We were confused/worried because obviously this means we we either did something wrong or that the beer is just super low in ABV.

We seemingly did the mash/primary/etc right, we got a good OG right where we wanted, but then the FG was way off from what we were expecting.

Any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

Did you check your FG before you racked to secondary? Sounds to me like your yeast may not have done their job in primary, and if that's the case - you may have some bottle bombs.

The little bit of Makers that you used to soak the chips isn't going to drive up your gravity that high. Even if it did, it should have fermented out in the 10 days.

You have a stuck fermentation, as br1dge suggested. I'd carefully unbottle them (as painful as that sounds) and pitch some new yeast and let the fermentation finish.

Unfortunately we didn't take the FG when we racked to the secondary, dang rookie mistakes. Looks like we will be re-pitching.

Thanks gang, I kind of figured that was what needed to happen. Guess that's better than any alternative. I appreciate all the help being new around here. Look forward to discussing many more successful brews.

If anything the extra alcohol from the bourbon should drive your FG down. A little not a lot but definitely not up.

Back